Pastured goose containment ideas

Abundantly Blessed

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
Hello!
I'm currently looking for goose containment systems that can be used in the pasture in a permaculture pasture rotation scenario. I've seen lots of chicken tractor plans, but geese are so much bigger. What about square footage requirements in a tractor type senario for geese? I would move them at least once daily. And suggestions or links would be amazing!
P.s. these are large breed geese

Hello!
I'm currently looking for goose containment systems that can be used in the pasture in a permaculture pasture rotation scenario. I've seen lots of chicken tractor plans, but geese are so much bigger. What about square footage requirements in a tractor type senario for geese? I would move them at least once daily. And suggestions or links would be amazing!
P.s. these are large breed geese

It's pretty large, if I remember correctly. How many are you thinking about? Honestly if you want to rotate pastures you could just cordon off the sections and herd the geese to the next section when necessary.

Edited because typo

It's pretty large, if I remember correctly. How many are you thinking about? Honestly if you want to rotate pastures you could just cordon of the sections and herd the geese to the next section when necessary.
Do you think a regular netting with posts would be sufficient? I was considering Premier electric netting..... but was wondering if a tractor of sorts would be would be more reliable. I currently have 15 goslings.

Do you think a regular netting with posts would be sufficient? I was considering Premier electric netting..... but was wondering if a tractor of sorts would be would be more reliable. I currently have 15 goslings.

Oh that's a lot. Yeah I don't think a tractor would work for that many. Maybe while they're little...garden fencing or chicken wire set up with those plastic posts (with the metal spike on the bottom) would probably be able to keep them in well enough. Or you would look into wattle hurdles, if you have a lot of trees on your property. They're super easy and inexpensive to make if you have plenty of trees available to gather from.

Electric netting is to keep ground predators out.
Regular netting should keep most poultry in.

I plan on using electric netting with my geese. I will pound some t posts in the ground and stretch a sunshade between them to give them shade from the afternoon sun.

This is my first year raising geese, but I have raised ducks, chickens, and turkeys on pasture for over 6 years. I have a mobile coop that I use the the birds when they are young. My chickens always roost on top of the coop regardless of the weather (snow, hurricanes, rain, etc.). My ducks only go inside the coop to get shade from the sun. I have used tarps or sunshades with these birds before and haven't had any issues.

I always go back to the wild fowl. Wild turkeys, ducks, and geese can handle the elements.

This is my first year raising geese, but I have raised ducks, chickens, and turkeys on pasture for over 6 years. I have a mobile coop that I use the the birds when they are young. My chickens always roost on top of the coop regardless of the weather (snow, hurricanes, rain, etc.). My ducks only go inside the coop to get shade from the sun. I have used tarps or sunshades with these birds before and haven't had any issues.

I always go back to the wild fowl. Wild turkeys, ducks, and geese can handle the elements.
With the electric netting... is long grass a problem?

With the electric netting... is long grass a problem?
I haven't had an issue. You can mow a loop where you want to place your netting. If I am close enough to one of my buildings, I will run a wire from an energizer to my fence to make the netting really hot. If I'm a good distance I just use my solar energizer.

Back
Top Bottom