1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasturing Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BooneHillbilly, Dec 19, 2010.

1. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Year before last they were in my chicken coop too much mess, this year they were in a 10x10 tractor, not enough room. Next season I would was thinking about fencing off a pad of about 20x30 for 50-100 birds.. I am looking for input from anyone who has tried this. Is this enough room as far as the amount of poo they produce? They will have a hoop house to get out of the elements that can be moved but the pen itself will be stationary. Thanks in advance

2. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Not enough room for 100 birds. Not even close. You could do 50, but only if you don't mind them eating every scrap of grass in a very short time period.

The other issue with pasturing them is that they are white. White attracts hawks like mad, so if there is no roof on the enclosure, or they aren't under a tree, they could very well become hawk food. I learned that one the hard way.

3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

That is about the area I devote to my Cornish X's..... By the time it's ready for processing, they have completely destroyed the grass/alfalfa blend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So every spring (or fall if I get around to it) I have to re-seed. In the end I think it's worth it though. It gives them room to move around. I haven't had a leg problem in years and eating all the fresh grasses has got be be why my birds taste so much better than a store bought bird.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    go to brunty farms web site and check out how he does it, very impressive.

5. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Didnt see much info on that site. I have tried tractors and was not happy with my lawn afterwards..lol.. Not enough room for them but I do have a huge hillside that they can have. I have measured off a 30x75' plot for them and will be planting some grasses soon. Ill report back as to my progress...

CARS.. how big is your site and how many birds are you working with in that area?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The outside broiler pen is about 15' X 35'. The cattle-panel hut is about 4' X 8'. I feel completely safe with about 40 in that space. 40 Worked great in years past.... But.....Last year I went nuts and bought chicks I wasn't planing for and ended up with about 85 of them in there. They still had room to move around but the grass was destroyed in a short time. Had to re-seed again last fall but with all their poo, I doubt most of it will grow and I will have to spot seed right away this spring.

7. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thats the numbers I wanted to hear:) So my plans with a 30x50 shouhdl be fine then, excellent!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by