Pasty and Pooey

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Oct 28, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Two Q's here.

1- One of my chicks seems to have some sort of pasty butt... but read on!!! He can pass poo. Maybe it clouded around the side of his butt or something... should i get it off because he poops fine...
    2- Any techniques that train them to not poop on you/give you a "poop" signal (my friend's dog scoots when she has to go)?

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't know about the training part. Chicks are smart. My cHicks are trained to come when I call with treats.

BTW my chucks do squat a little beforehand so maybe you could teach them.

But I do know that it is best to clean them if they have poop. Use a warm cotton ball or warm water to loosen it and wipe gently away.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    My chick has runny poop but no pasty butt. I dont know what to do about it though. I want to train my chickens to come when I call. Thats so cool.

4. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Treats attract them 100% but here is a way to train them to come when you call

1- Hold a treat, like grit (if they are grit addicts like mine) or whatever their fave is.
    2- Hold it out a distance from them, slightly above like a few cm, if you will.
    3- Make some sort of "come here" phrase to them. "Here chicky" or "Come" works fine. Just make it short and sweet.
    4- Do that a few days straight. Then when they start responding faster and faster, next time you let them out, say the "command" and it should work, even without a treat, although daily treats make my chickies happier. [​IMG]

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks I'll start tonight. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by