Pasty Bottom and Diarrhea in Chick

YaYasDottes

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Loveland, Ohio
My 1-week-old Silver Wyandotte chick, Jujube, has diarrhea and pasty bottom. The other chicks are fine. She is one of the smallest.

Yesterday, she had diarrhea. I cleaned her up, hoping it was a one time incident. This morning, the diarrhea is more watery, with pasty bottom. I cleaned her bottom in a bowl of warm water and dried her well.

Brooder temp is fine with Brinsea Eco Glo. Pine shavings are cleaned out and replaced as needed. I am giving plain water and water laced with probiotics, electrolytes, and a drop of Nutri Drench. They are eating medicated chick starter. Every other day, I am giving the 8 of them 1 tablespoon of scrambled egg to share. All are eating, drinking, playing, and sleeping well. Even Jujube.

Should I do something more for her? Is this common? Do I need to isolate her? Is the diarrhea caused by stress, parasites, disease, or something else? They were all vaccinated for Marek.

Thanks for any advice you may give. Praying for all of you to be blessed with a healthy, happy flock.

The Nutri-drench will cause runny poop in some chicks, especially if it's given for too many days. Keep up the other supplements but stop the Nutri-drench for now.

Your small chick could have an underdeveloped digestive system. Usually, Nutri-drench is the one big thing you would give a chick like yours, but letting it have a break from it could help the diarrhea.

If your chick is active and has a good appetite, perhaps her watery stool is her "default" poop style. I had such a chick many years ago. She was a "splorter". You could hear her as she pooped, SPLORT!" She had watery poop all her life and she was never sick the entire eight years of it until she died from a reproductive infection.

The only thing about her that was different from the others was that she drank lots of water, as a new chick and all her adult life. She was a "water cooler lingerer". Watch your chick and see if it's maybe spending more time at the water bottle than the others.
Your description of a 'splorting' chicken is pretty funny. Thanks for the reassurance.

Jujube has had a pasty bottom again today. But as soon as I cleaned her up in a bowl of warm water, she hopped down from my hand and pooped as a normal chick would. Hopefully, she is on the mend.

I had only given one dose of Nitro Drench in water to all of the chicks. The rest seem fine.

Jujube continues to have watery diarrhea. She is very active and ravenously hungry, though! She is the first one to jump into my hand when I offer them food.

Any other suggestions?

If your chick is active and has a good appetite, perhaps her watery stool is her "default" poop style. I had such a chick many years ago. She was a "splorter". You could hear her as she pooped, SPLORT!" She had watery poop all her life and she was never sick the entire eight years of it until she died from a reproductive infection.

The only thing about her that was different from the others was that she drank lots of water, as a new chick and all her adult life. She was a "water cooler lingerer". Watch your chick and see if it's maybe spending more time at the water bottle than the others.

I've never given scrambled eggs to chicks so you may want to stop doing that for a few days and see. Just because 1 chick is bad and the others are good does not mean the others dont have it. I would take away nutri drench and scrambled eggs. And feed just electrolyte water. And medicated feed the whole time. Also give them places to perch. Like in wood blocks and sticks. Even place a little mesh bag of lavender in there it always works to calm there systems down. Hope this helps.

I would add organic apple cider vinegar to their water (must have the mother in it). 2 tsp per pint. It helped me with my bad pasty butt case.

I would keep and eye on her and make sure she's gaining weight. If she is active and growing that is a great sign.

Back
Top Bottom