1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty Bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RValdivia, Apr 13, 2016.

1. RValdivia

RValdivia New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    Hello, I'm new to raising chickens. My daughter and I just picked up 3 on Friday. I have one with a case of pasty bottom. I realized this on Sunday night when it started to act lethargic. And I saw the poo on its bottom. Thanks to this forum, I was able to clean it and by Monday evening it was feeling a lot better. I added 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water and I have some plain yogurt with food mixed in it. They are drinking the water and eating the plain yogurt, but it doesn't seem to have cleared up the bottom.

It stayed clean on Monday and Tuesday but this morning it was back, so I cleaned it and looks like I need to clean it again.

The other 2 appear to be perfectly fine. Does this take awhile to go away? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Ruth (and Kaitlyn)

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I would feed them regular chick starter and water. The yogurt can give them diarrhea, as chickens don't have the enzymes needed to digest dairy. Giving probiotics in the water is a better choice for that.

Also, check the temp in your brooder. If it's too warm, that can trigger pasty butt.

Hope that helps!

MrsB

3. RValdivia

RValdivia New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    Thanks. What temperature should the brooder be? I have a red light raised about 14" from the bottom.

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Temp should be 90-95 degrees for the first week, then you can decrease it by five degrees each week after that until they are five weeks old and fully feathered. At that point, they can go outside, if your outside temps are pretty stable. :)

You might need a thermometer to tell the temp in the warmest part of the brooder.

MrsB

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. RValdivia

RValdivia New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    Thanks, I'll get a thermometer and check the temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by