Pasty bottom?

YoloChick05

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2020
So today I've noticed my one chick had a runny poop that has went down its butt fluff and I'm kinda wondering if I should clean it off and how? I'm kinda afraid of hurting it accidentally (must be a new chicken parent fear). If y'all need a pic I'll post one.

Yes, you can clean it off.
Depending on how badly it's soiled you may be able to clean with a paper towel, if not, hold the chick's bum under warm running water and gently work the poop out of the fluff.

Dry your chick well. You can use a hairdryer on low and carefully dry the fluff.

Photos of the chick, the brooder and her poop may be helpful. What are you feeding?

Your chick's bottom should be clean. Runny poop down isn't a big concern but I would take care of it so it doesn't lead to something more. It's easy :)

I put warm water into a bowl, take a washcloth, soak the end of the washcloth in the water, soak the poo. Repeat until it all comes off. Chicken poop, like most bird poop I've encountered (I'm sure there are exceptions!), it pretty water soluble. :)

If it's stuck on, like compacting into their vent or mashed into their feathers badly, matted, etc., then I pinch the poop using the warm, wet, washcloth to get it nice and wet. Repeat soaking the washcloth and wetting the poop, eventually the poop wipes right away or dissolves.

I've had to soak the butt enough that all of their little hiney was very wet. I towel dried them and put them back in (because they are inside my house at ~68f). If it's bad, you may need to repeat again tomorrow.

You definitely want to monitor and take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom