Pasty bum still

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PhlyinPheBee, Apr 13, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I have a silkie baby that I have had for 4 days and I think it was 3 days when I got it. She/he has had the pasty bum since coming home. I have done the yogurt, vasline and trimmed down. What else can I do. Now the chick hates me!! [​IMG]

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Keep it's bum clean. That's all you can do. Search pasty butt too. There is a lot of good advise out there. But the one thing that is the same in all the post on pasty butt is to keep it cleaned off.

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Check the post I just posted called Awww.Crap.Literally. People gave a bunch of great input, and my silkies are (knock wood)pasty free. I went for the clean butt,baby oil ACV route. I was about to buy the molasses, but they seem to be cleared up so far today (I'll check them again in a few hours...[​IMG]).

I wonder if silkies are just more proned to it 'cuz of their fluffy butts?!!

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Molasses in the water. Make a weak tea out of it. Make sure to wash there bum a couple times a day.

5. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I went to the store and got the oatmeal and cooked it up. BOY do they love it. The pasty but, Buttaness, LOVES it the best. That is good since she is the one that needs it.

Thanks

6. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Oatmeal, cooked or dry, is really good for the pasty butts. Ours fought over every last flake of the oatmeal we gave them. Still do when we throw some in with their feed, and they're 4 1/2 mos old!

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

8. Ckn woman

Ckn woman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Two of my frist chicks had pasty butt. I cleaned them and then i put baby oil on their vent with a q tip. Seemed to work.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    I posted this on the other thread too. When my girls had pasty butt I read on here to grind their food up in a blender or coffee grinder and add some corn or oat flour. (or grind oats up with their food) It worked like MAGIC! Instantly no more pasty butt.[​IMG]

10. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    I'm so happy to find this information. I had 4 out of the 12 new babies get pasty butt. I cleaned their butts off with a warm wash cloth, but didn't put any oil on them. I don't have baby oil. Will olive oil be OK? I'll add some oats to their feed when I get home from work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by