pasty bum?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HeatherFeather, Jul 9, 2010.

1. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    a bunch of my 4 day old meat birds have dried poop stuck to their bums. I cleaned up the worst ones and turned the heat a little higher for them to dry.

What causes this?

None of my 4 day old eggers have this, and they are in the same coop (different brooder pen) with the same conditions.

The only thing I can think of is that the eggers are on woodshavings and the meaties on newsprint, as the meaties were having a hard time figuring out what to and not to eat so I put them on paper and scattered food. Also the eggers are eating a lot more than the meats.

The meat birds are a heavy red cross, not white rocks. The eggers are a mix of BSL, RIR, marans and ameraucana.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    They probably ate some shavings before you switched to newspaper. If you put a little molases in their water for a few days it should take care of it. Put enough in so it looks like tea, about a Tbsp/gallon. And FYI, most people will discouage using newspaper. It can get slippery, and they can get leg problems as a result. If you want a substitute for NP, try paper towels. I have had chicks pecking at the shaving, but have never had any real problems because of it. If they do eat a bunch of them it can be bad, but I have never had it happen.

Goodluck!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Okie, will do with the molasses. I have them off the newspaper and back on shavings now anyhow, and they all seem to know what is food now.

Should I still be washing the poopy bum chicks or will they figure out how to clean themselves?

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:I had several white laced red Cornish chicks showing signs of it and some cleaned themselves . It wasn't really problematic untill a power outage dropped brooder temps for a few hrs . One capped off and sealed the vent shut ; it was quite obviously under duress when the lights came back on . I had washed a couple off before that , but this one took a big crap as soon as it was cleaned and went back to looking chipper . I used Preperation H on its swollen vent and that seemed to minimize the crap from sticking for awhile , but it cleaned its rear than groomed its wings and looked pretty bad with the greasy wings LOL . I quit cleaning except to carefully scizzor clip the down under one with a big ball and I think the clipping helps slow build-up better than anything else . I was feeding 24% to a mixed breed brooder and suspicion the slow growing Cornish could not handle that much protein .

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I happens when there isn't enough heat. Some chicks need more then others

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Is that why it happens. That's why I keep reading these posts. Never know when I might learn something new or something I've forgotten.

Don't have the problem much any more but now and again I'll get a smushy butt. Usually in the spring, so that makes sense. I like June hatches better.

This last hatch is biggest chicks yet this year and not one smooshy butt. I know everyone always says the Spring hatch is the hatch to choose your best breeders from, but lately I have the best chicks from the June/July Hatches. It looks like I'll pick my breeders from this last hatch again this year. They are just so healthy and vigorous.

7. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Ya I read about not enough heat. I don't get it though- its been a SERIOUS heat wave here- the ambient temps have been 100F without a heat lamp. I've been turning the heat lamps off in the afternoon when it gets real hot outside for fear I'd cook the chicks. They all avoid the lamps by at least 12" if they're on. The past few days have been cooler though, so they've been on all day. The brooder is very snug and secure, and the chicks are behaving as though they're warm, no huddling ect.

The eggers are in the brooder below the meaties and there are no pasty bums at all. They're all on the same chick starter. (homestead organics).

We do plan to be quitting the heat lamps hopefully in the next few days as we just aquired a propane heater that is made for indoors, so we're going to heat the whole coop instead. We're currently without electricity and are running a generator to power the lamps and its too costly. Electrician says it'll be another 4 weeks before he can get it up and running.

I hope that doesn't present any more troubles for these guys.

Haven't seen any results from molasses but I just started it last night. Off to clean bums again---

8. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    It can happen from too much heat, too, or from stress of any kind.

I used to regularly clean pasted chicks, but now that I'm working with larger batches I only clean them when they're really pasted up and it's an obvious problem. Sometimes just cleaning the chick can stress it so badly that they'll continue to get it.

Also, put some vegetable oil around the vent where the poop is sticking after they're clean. It helps keep them from getting pasted up again. Don't use vaseline or some other inedible oil -- the chicks will clean themselves up and they need to be able to ingest anything you put on them.

9. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    shucks. *everything* seems to stress them out. After reading some old threads I gave them acidophilus and milk curds. I also gave them some natural river sand as grit as that's what Salatin recommends, they dove right into both. I'm using an olive oil/beeswax salve on them right now. There seems to be a little less pasting, but the same chicks keep getting it. We only have 50 birds, I dunno what I'll do when I've got several hundred on the go in the future?? We have the same number of eggers and they have no problems at all, and are much more relaxed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by