Pasty Butt- 1 Hen Not Laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi, I'm new & glad to find this forum.

I'm new to chickens and have 2 barred rock hens, 1 year old. Last year they layed well all summer and then didn't lay during the winter and then started laying again on March 2. For a few days I got 3 eggs per day collectively between the 2 of them-- 3 eggs total per day. Then I removed the fir branch insulation from their coop. All of a sudden I started getting only 1 egg and the chickens' both developed somewhat pasty butts. I have read that chilling can cause this malady. The fir branches probably kept the coop a lot warmer at night. It's been as cold as 28 F her the past few nights, about 10 degrees colder than normal. Could this have caused the pasty butts? I read that chilling can be a cause. Or could the hens have eaten too much cat food? Sometimes they raid the cats' dishes. Their poop does seem a bit more firm than normal, not a bit loose. One chicken has white legs and the other's are more yellow. The latter's vent looks a bit reddish/pink. The chicken with white legs doesn't want me to look at her vent. I tried. She has more poop on her feathers on her butt than the chicken who is not laying. I see no bugs on them, but they do scratch themselves some. I feed them mash with warm water in it, homemade brown rice, fresh spinach, and scratch. Today I put 1 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in 2 quarts of water, because I read that can help with worms, if they have that problem. Should I buy Sevin-5 and dust them with it, as a next preventive? I am worried. They were doing so well. What other additions would be good to add to their diet? I was thinking about scrambling them some eggs. I am going to make sure they have no more access to cat food, dry or soft, as I think it might have caused a digestive problem. The chicken whose legs are yellow went broody last November and hid under the house one night. I suspect she has a very old clutch of eggs under there. She went under there Sunday, too, and was there for at least 20 minutes while I was looking for her, and maybe longer. She came out with a very loud squawk. I have no rooster, so the legs are unfertilized. She isn't sitting on them very long per day, though, as I don't see her under the house much, so I don't think her stopping egg laying would be due to broodiness, even though she has that tendency? All ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for your help! Should I send the poop somewhere to have it analyzed for worms? I need to find a poultry vet in my town, Salt Lake City, but I'm not sure how to go about that?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    temperature and light will affect laying, so if your weather is like ours, it got warm, then cold again. My girls slow down for rainy days and snow.

Pasty butt usually refers to chicks, so I'm not sure what you are talking about with the hens

too much cat food can be a problem, but the occassional snack/raid shouldn't be

do they free range? Could just be they are eating more bugs and grass now that its spring

seven is for lice, won't help if they have worms but you can put it in their favorite dusting spot and they will dust themselves

I would block off how ever she is getting under the house... who knows what else is under there

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the great reply, MrsFancyPants! It made me feel a lot better!

Well, for some good news for a change-- I just went out to clean the coop and found a 2d egg today! Yippee! I think it might have been a reward for feeding them fresh strawberries today?

But, I'm wondering whether it might be a 2d egg of Esther's, since Easter's legs are still orange? And she was hiding under the house a while ago (until I brought out the scratch, which she can't resist), so I suspect she is a bit broody, still.

Also, has anyone ever had a chicken lay an egg at night? I don't know when the early egg was laid-- but I had opened the coop this morning at about 9 a.m., and the speckled egg I found was already cold.

Esther didn't seem to have laid any eggs yesterday (she's the white-legged layer, and it was cloudy and cool out,) so I wonder whether she might have laid one egg late in the evening, which I just found this morning? I've read that most chickens lay eggs in the morning, not at night, but was wondering whether night layers do exist? What is the latest time of day your chicken has ever laid an egg?

Also, the early morning egg had beautiful speckles on it, and the 2d egg was much darker, of the sort I think Easter tends to lay. Are a chicken's eggs the same color every day? I read that the color of the shell is dependent on the breed, but wouldn't diet somewhat affect the color of the shell?

They had scrambled eggs for lunch yesterday. I wonder whether the scrambled eggs and apple cider vinegar helped them accomplish today's 2d egg feat?

Or could it be that March is going out like a lamb-- sunny and nice and warm? March is defying the rule here-- it both came in like a lamb and is going out like a lamb. It's hard to tease it all apart, but I'm just tickled to death that it's a 2-Egg Day!

Clare

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    March may be going out like a lamb where you are, but its snowing here!

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    We had snow just a few days ago, and it was cold and miserable. Our storm must have moved out your way. My hens are so much happier in the sunshine. I think you were right about why they stopped laying. It's about 60 F here today.

I just picked some baby broccoli out of my garden, and they went wild for those nice, tender greens! I sure hope I can grow them a lovely crop of baby spinach this year. I've heard chooks like tender grape leaves, too. Maybe I'd better plant some grapes.

Enjoy the snow-- it could be the last snow of the season. Perfect time to plant wildflowers and poppies, MrsFancyPlants. Those seeds love to be planted atop spring snowfalls to sink down into the moisture as it melts. I'm going to plant some more sweet peas today, and get my sunflower seeds sprouting between paper towels. I hope the chickens will leave them alone. I'd probably barricade the plantings from their probing beaks.

Clare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by