Pasty Butt? And diarrhea please help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunnie7, Nov 2, 2016.

1. sunnie7

sunnie7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2016
    So my chick is about a week and a half old I got it 6 days ago and I have had to soak and get the poop off its butt a few times now. Earlier today I soak and then I went to put some olive oil on its bottom just a bit ago and it's looks like this now and when I picked it up it shot diarrhea all over me leg!!! It's acting normal and has been eating and drinking great and I do have ACV in the water and they are also on medicated chick feed and under a heat lamp at 90 degrees what else can I do for it?!?
    Sorry for the graphic pic on my baby's bum
    [​IMG]

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Give the little one just a bit of Molasses. It cures both constipation and the runs. Just a drop or two will do.
    Best,
    Karen

1 person likes this.
  3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    One of the most common causes of PB is overheating. Make sure there is an adequate temperature gradient in your brooder (at least 20 degrees difference between hot and cool sides) so the chick can self-regulate.

I would consider switching to plain water and adding a concentrated probiotic to their feed. My favorite is ProBios powder, but there are others out there. I actually give my chicks a fermented feed for the probiotic aspect (instead of adding the powder), but you can stick with what you already are using.

4. sunnie7

Oct 24, 2016
    I will go get probiotics today does TSC have them? It's looking worse now it's loosing its feathers. But still acting fine.
    [​IMG]

5. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Yes, it may not be in the poultry section though: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/probios-dispersible-powder-240gm

If it is losing its feathers just on the butt, you may also want to pick up a bottle of Vetericyn spray for poultry to apply to the skin. It's a nice antiseptic that will not grease up the down. Great to have in your emergency kit anyway. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/vetericyn-plus-poultry-care

6. sunnie7

Oct 24, 2016
    Looking so much better!!
    [​IMG]

7. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by