pasty butt and spradled legg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapeachy, Feb 13, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    ok I have had my chicks here for 2 days.....one has pasty butt and spradled leggs...will it get ok?...I wiped his behine off ....should I go ahead and cull it being it also is spradled legg?.....otherwise all are looking very healthy

2. charlotteda

charlotteda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    do a search for spraddle leg.. there are many things you can do to help it .

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
  4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    we got a spraddled leg yesterday and we are keeping her seperate. Tried some of the things we found on here. She is getting better but not eating and drinking as much as we would like. We have high hopes for her.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

gapeachy, pasty butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses mixed in their drinking water like weak tea. Molasses is a natural laxative for birds. Clean their butt with a warm wet cloth first and give them the molasses for about a week.

6. rendonhen

rendonhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    rendon, tx
    Stacey is doing so much better. She is eating and drinking on her own. she is wobbling around as best as she can. A few more days and I think she will almost be strong enough to join the others. Stacey has spraddle leggs. Makes her look like she is doing the splits. She is finally keeping her legs under her. thanks to all that helped.

We used bandaides to keep her feet c;ose together, and now we just poke her feet under her to teach her to stand and walk.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by