Pasty Butt and swollen feather follicles on feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cuttlefishherder, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    We have a 4 black copper maran chicks, and they are all supposed to be the same age, we got them in trade for a buff orphington. The lady said a month but they are all kind of varying in size.

Any Who. The largest chick has big lumps around the feather follicles on its feet. We think this one is going to be a rooster, but we are concerned its an infection in the follicles.
    The smallest chick has pasty butt, shes so freaking tiny and has so much fluff left. What can we so to help get rid of it?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You need to clean up the pasty butt, a soak in warm water would help to get the dried stuff removed, you might have to pick it off. But it is very important that it not stay there. try giving some plain yogurt to help get it's gut bacteria off to a good start. Does it look like it could be leg mites are the skin on the legs normal looking? you might try some antibiotic cream on the legs w/o the pain reliever that ends in caine. Neosporin or generic would be good. You could also soak his legs in epsom salt water a few times and see if that helps, just remember when you wet them that you dry real well so they don't chill. Are you giving the smallest one heat. is it feathered out already? if their only a month old I'd say they could use some heat if you live in the northern part of the country. oops I see your in Tucson, does it get cold their? still think at 4 weeks they need some heat if you not providing it already.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    Oh yeah they have heat, its pretty cold here right now so the heat lamp is on 24\\7, the big one doesn't have mites, the lump is in or below the skin, it looks like a callus, that's the best way to describe it, but it has a little give, its not solid but its not soft.

And will do with the pasty butt, we have goat yogurt that we've fed to our chickens before so well get her on that.

Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by