Pasty butt as an adult?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wberry85, Oct 10, 2011.

1. wberry85

wberry85 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    I have a chicken who just has poop all over her butt. None of my other chickens have it. I imagine its uncomfortable for her.

I am probably going to just cut the feathers out with poop on them, but any way to keep it from happening again?

2. ericnash

ericnash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I have heard of this before. I forget what the name is, but I know that I saw it in the magazine backyard chickens. Try looking up there website and finding the answer. Best wishes

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Is she sleeping in a nesting box or on the ground?

4. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    i do that with my favorite chicken Maggie it works very well:D

5. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have two that will sometimes get dirty behinds. I just give them a warm soak and wash it off. I call them the lazy poopers! [​IMG]

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Might be Vent Gleet. I have an older pullet who could not keep a clean butt for the life of her, once she got her adult feathers. I ended up having to bath her bum regularly and trim all fluff and feathers in the area very short to keep them from getting soiled and amassing poop. She didn't have worms, and was eating and drinking normally. Essentially, vent gleet is a bird yeast infection and can cause diarrhea poopy butt if other causes have been ruled out.

7. ChixMama

ChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Our RIR, Lucy, keeps a dirty behind most of the time [​IMG]. Earlier this summer we gave her a warm shower and blow dry. My husband thinks we're crazy to run a chicken spa [​IMG]!! It has helped and she may need it again if her eggs start being "dirty" when they are laid.

8. wberry85

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Quote:Far as I can tell she sleeps on the roost with the rest of the hens.

9. wberry85

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Quote:Reckon I will just have to wash her off. Hopefully it wont come back. Boy this is gonna be fun to watch me washing a chickens butt with her kicking and screaming! [​IMG]

10. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Reckon I will just have to wash her off. Hopefully it wont come back. Boy this is gonna be fun to watch me washing a chickens butt with her kicking and screaming! [​IMG]

She won't kick and scream, they actually seem to like the warm water. I use a rubbermaid tote and fill it up a few inches with warm water. Remember to make it a little warmer than you think...chickens run a higher body temp naturally. I just wear rubber gloves and rest one hand gently on they're back and rub there bottoms with the other. It takes a few minutes, that stuff gets super hard!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by