Pasty butt blues

Aaron Zoladz

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
Sandia Park, NM
IMG_7182.JPG IMG_7183.JPG IMG_7185.JPG Hello!
We have new chicks about 2 weeks old. They came from a hatchery. We lost one early on that we think was just failure to thrive. The rest are happy and seem healthy. However one has struggled with pasty butt and a possible protruding vent. We have her separated so the others don't pick at her butt. She cries and cries and seems lonely but it is for her own safety right now. I'd like to put her back with the others, but I can't get her poor bottom to look right. I've used olive oil to help with her pasty butt issue and try as I might I can't get her feathers to fluff back up. She's much smaller than the others but I know she's drinking and eating(some). Being separated seems to really distress her! I'm at all loss at this point! What can I do? Please help!

View attachment 1038825 View attachment 1038826 View attachment 1038827 Hello!
We have new chicks about 2 weeks old. They came from a hatchery. We lost one early on that we think was just failure to thrive. The rest are happy and seem healthy. However one has struggled with pasty butt and a possible protruding vent. We have her separated so the others don't pick at her butt. She cries and cries and seems lonely but it is for her own safety right now. I'd like to put her back with the others, but I can't get her poor bottom to look right. I've used olive oil to help with her pasty butt issue and try as I might I can't get her feathers to fluff back up. She's much smaller than the others but I know she's drinking and eating(some). Being separated seems to really distress her! I'm at all loss at this point! What can I do? Please help![/QUOTE

Maybe try a warm epson salt soak for 10 minutes? You'll probably need to hold the chick in with it's head up so it doesn't drown. Then dry with hairdryer on low setting. Maybe try Preparation H cream? If all else fails and nobody else has a suggestion, try spraying the reddish parts with Blue Kote?

Maybe try a warm epson salt soak for 10 minutes? You'll probably need to hold the chick in with it's head up so it doesn't drown. Then dry with hairdryer on low setting. Maybe try Preparation H cream? If all else fails and nobody else has a suggestion, try spraying the reddish parts with Blue Kote?
Thank you so much! I'll try the epsom salt soak. I put hemorrhoid cream but she picked a lot after that. Tried some burts bees diaper rash ointment and it seemed to help with the redness and swelling but matted her feathers down. I don't mind keeping her separated just worried it's making her a little nutty! Should I be worried? Also I have read about pushing a protruding vent back in. Should I try that?

I have never tried pushing a vent back in, unsure what would keep it from popping back out, maybe try the probiotic mash recipe for vent infections (vent gleet) listed on one of these threads? I copied it for use on my hens, but forgot to copy the link. Here's what I coppied:
TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES ORPELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF MILK ANY KIND SOUR OR FRESH, 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE UNPASTURIZED ACV.

(E) ALSO 1 /2 CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.

(F) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.

(G) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD MORE MILK TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,

(H) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.

(I) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT

Maybe you can adapt it for a chick?

Back
Top Bottom