Pasty butt & Brooding outside in Texas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tmurphy3033, Jun 15, 2016.

1. tmurphy3033

tmurphy3033 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Hi. I have searched the forums and read thousands of posts and need some direction. This is my second group of chicks to raise. First group of 10 did great no problems. I have 3 chicks. I got them from Atwoods. 1 is a RIR (Georgia). 1 is black and yellow? They are the same age. We've had them two weeks but the black & yellow (Hazel) was smaller in size. I also have 1 that we've had for 5 days and she is about a week younger. (chicken little)
    We are brooding them in the garage. I've had a heat lamp on them, but the days here in Texas are getting to 90+ degrees. I'm having pasty butt issues with chicken little & Hazel. (CL is the worst)
    ACV in the water. Clean brooder. Medicated chick starter. Cleaning bottoms multiple times each day. Putting coconut oil on vents after cleaning. I think they may be too hot. I'm wanting to remove the heat lamp during the day but afraid to make the leap. What do you guys think??

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    You do not need a heat light on during the day and you can probably raise it up so it is cooler in the brooder. 90 is more than warm enough without adding extra heat.
    How big is your brooder? You want to make sure it isn't too hot in there at night too.

3. tmurphy3033

tmurphy3033 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

My first group brooded in garage for about a week then they went outside.....wondering if that's part of my problem. The others were outside foraging and chasing bugs etc pretty quickly. So I decided with the weather the way it is to just go ahead and stick them in the coop.

The cage has Hazel in it. She keeps pecking at Chicken Little's behind. She has a tiny bit of pasty butt. And truthfully I'm not sure it is pasty butt. They poop and it just doesn't fall off the vent. It hasnt had time to get crusted over because I remove it.

Thanks for the encouagement. Just praying they make it through the night now.

4. tmurphy3033

tmurphy3033 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Made it through the night & the two bigger ones spent most of the day roaming around in the pen we use. [​IMG]
    Kept Chicken Little in the coop/brooder. Both pasty butts are better....just needed a tad bit of encouragement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by