Pasty Butt casualty?

CapoBro

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Kansas
This is my first time to raise baby chicks and on the 3rd day home I think I may be looking at a dying chick. I had to be away from the house this evening so my daughter called me and was crying because one of the chicks was being attacked by another. It was breathing but very listless in her hand. When I got home I discovered that it had pasty butt so I cleaned it up best I could and tried to get it to drink. It tilted its head back as if to swallow then drooped again. I have it separated from the other chicks but it is breathing really fast and lays there lethargic. Is there any hope for my poor chick? Advice? Have I done all I can do?

You could try to get some sugar water into it. If it is still plugged up? you can hold it's vent in warm water to soften up anything still blocking and massage the area to see if, you can get it working. Make sure the chick is not too warm under the heat lamp as they over-heat quickly. Hope it makes it.

For other chicks add Apple Cider Vinegar to their water (1 Tablespoon to 1 qt. water) Unpasturized is better but regular will work. It is good for them and helps prevent pasty butt.

Tried the sugar water, but I couldn't save her. I will try the apple cider vinegar for the other chicks. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom