Pasty Butt Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rtda4, Feb 19, 2009.

1. rtda4

rtda4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Need help!!! All my babies that I ordered from MM have pasty butt. The brooder is at 95 degrees, clean water at least 3 times a day, brooder stays clean. I change the paper towels at least 6 times a day. I have been cleaning butts since they got here. Any suggestions?

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    What are you feeding? It seems unusual that so many would have the problem. Is the poop kind of dried onto their feathers? How old are they?

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    When my chciks get pasty butt, I put a hand full of sand in with them, I put it in a jar lid..............

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Try using olive oil on their vents after you clean them off. Somehow it helps keep the poo from sticking (although it is disturbingly like basting them...) [​IMG]

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I tried sand, olive oil, Vaseline, all the recommenced solutions and still had the problem. The Vaseline did help with clean up. But I noticed with the starter feed that the chicks only wanted the fine particles and I was wasting feed. I put the starter in a coffee grinder and turned it into a powder and fed it to them and to my surprise NO more pasty butt. It was gone completely in less than 24 hours. The chicks are more active making less of a mess and fluffy with no oily butt...

I am not sure it had anything to do with it but you might five it a try.

6. rtda4

rtda4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am feeding 20% chick starter from tractor supply. All seem happy. They are running around flapping little wings. I am giving chase with a moist napklin trying to clean fuzzy butts.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

8. SCMAC

SCMAC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    I'm having the same problems with the MM chicks that I had come in Tuesday. Well the ones that I have left anyway.

9. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    i got 150 chicks from mt healthy and only about 5 has had pasty butt...and they are 1 week old....I heard put sugar in their water ...I dont know if it works or not

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

some breeds are worse then others,, BO's for me are famous for it. try wetting their feed, and trimming that fuzz on their butt. it usually ends soon as long as you keep them cleaned up, we do it once in the morning, and once at night, and within a week dont have to do it any more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by