Pasty Butt/constipated chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cuttlefishherder, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    We have a little Black Copper Maran chick that has both pasty butt and constipation. She is having a lot of trouble pooping and makes pained squeaks when she does. On top of that, her poop has been sticking to her butt.
    We are soaking her in Epsom salt water hoping that helps, but if anyone has any information that could help, please by all means, do tell.

It may be important to note that this particular chick is a runt among the others being only a half to a third the size of the others.

I say again, if anyone can help that would be great. We would rally like to keep her.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I haven't tried it, but I've heard that if you give them sand in the brooder, it helps with pasty butt.

3. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    Well, after a soak shes pooping more, but the poop is really really dry... any one know any thing on dry chick poo?

4. foxglove5

foxglove5 New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    Hello, we have just been through this with one of our hens. We took her to the vet because it seemed really bad and we did not know what to do for her. The vet said we should offer her some organic field greens daily (not too much or diarrhea will occur). She said we should also mix her food with some water for extra hydration and give her plain yogurt twice a day. She is 10 months old and fairly large so she gets 1 teaspoon in a syringe. we had to isolate her and keep her in a quiet warm place. The vet cleaned her posterior end and gave us a cream to put on her backside. She is doing better and able to poop much better. The doctor removed alot of impacted poop that was dry and hard. Hope the information helps.

5. foxglove5

foxglove5 New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm sorry! I did not realize that this post was that old. I'm sure the problem is solved by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by