Pasty butt, eye won't open, prepare for the outdoors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Justhatched, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I've got a silkie that will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and (s)he still has pasty butt. She's had it since we got her 2 weeks ago. I clean (gently) her daily but her fluff is gone around her vent. What could be causing pasty butt? Will it ever go away? I also have a chick (also a silkie) that keeps his/her left eye closed. It looks like it could be a bit crusty (like when tears dry). So for the last 2 days we've been using a damp paper towel and gently putting it on the eye and gently wiping the eye until it opens. It will open. When I go back (later in the day) it's closed again. The first time we found him/her like that the eye looked swollen but the swelling has gone down since then. Is it safe to think (s)he got hurt? Or could this be something else?

We use pine shavings, poly-vi-sol in the fresh water daily, mash, yogurt daily and the brooder is in the 80's.

We are also getting ready to move our sex links outside. Is there anything we need to give them to prepare them for free ranging? We have a lot of wild birds around our house. I was told they can/will give our chicks mites and lice. Is this true? How worried about that should I be? I plan on using DE in their bedding when they are outside.

Any advice?

2. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I have had chicks twice. The first time, our chicks were fed medicated crumbles. No pasty butt.

This time we bought mash from the feed store where we bought the chicks and they had pasty butt. It has gone away since I drove over to the other place and bought crumbles. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I think the crumbles are better than mash. You may have to call several feed stores to find it though.

3. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I need to get more feed. I will get crumbles to see if that helps.

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Try some yogurt and a clump of grass with roots and dirt attached. The beneficial bacteria will help the chick's gastrointestinal system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by