Pasty butt! Feathers off around bum

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
I had to soak off a large amount of pasty butt junk and now around his bum is bare? I do have hot pick and I have blue kote. Should i use either of them on his tender bum area? Is that safe? I have two babies that are getting pasty butt! I hope it gets better!!! All the others are doing good so far
fl.gif
Can someone please give me some tips and can I put olive oil AND blue kote on? Will the chicks pick at the olive oil?

BTW I have him seperatated right now from the others worried they will start picking at his bare bum. His is in the brooder but I have him in the little box they all came in inside the brooder so he can still see the others.

Last edited:
Hi, just coat every day with olive oil. If the skin is broken down , coat with some greasy ointment. I would do this every day for a few days.
If that hotbite thing burns, it might burn his butt too.

Thanks I am for sure doing the olive oil and I will wait on the hot pick as I don't want it to burn his bum area. I just hope they won't pick at him. I will try to turn him lose after he is dried out from his bum soaking

When mine had a bare tushy, after the olive oil coating I watched her for a good ten minutes to make sure the others would not find the olive oil "tastey"! They left her alone. I was worried the bare skin would attract pecking but I was ok. Just keep a close eye out! Don't worry, it gets better and goes away. Mine will be three weeks old tomorrow and I have no one with a pasty bumm!

Back
Top Bottom