Pasty butt! Feathers off around bum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, May 25, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I had to soak off a large amount of pasty butt junk and now around his bum is bare? I do have hot pick and I have blue kote. Should i use either of them on his tender bum area? Is that safe? I have two babies that are getting pasty butt! I hope it gets better!!! All the others are doing good so far [​IMG] Can someone please give me some tips and can I put olive oil AND blue kote on? Will the chicks pick at the olive oil?

BTW I have him seperatated right now from the others worried they will start picking at his bare bum. His is in the brooder but I have him in the little box they all came in inside the brooder so he can still see the others.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, just coat every day with olive oil. If the skin is broken down , coat with some greasy ointment. I would do this every day for a few days.
    If that hotbite thing burns, it might burn his butt too.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thanks I am for sure doing the olive oil and I will wait on the hot pick as I don't want it to burn his bum area. I just hope they won't pick at him. I will try to turn him lose after he is dried out from his bum soaking

4. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    When mine had a bare tushy, after the olive oil coating I watched her for a good ten minutes to make sure the others would not find the olive oil "tastey"! They left her alone. I was worried the bare skin would attract pecking but I was ok. Just keep a close eye out! Don't worry, it gets better and goes away. Mine will be three weeks old tomorrow and I have no one with a pasty bumm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by