Pasty butt. Help please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Addiesmommy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Addiesmommy

Addiesmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Parkland, Wa
    I cleared all the pasty poop. But now it looks like she still has something stuck. Is there anything else I can do for her? [​IMG]

2. Addiesmommy

Apr 24, 2016
    Parkland, Wa
    To be more specific I cleared it about an hour ago and when I came back that's what it looked like.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Is she protruding there? Difficult to see from the image you posted...a protrusion is normally a prolapse...if so, it can be treated with honey or prep H...

4. Addiesmommy

Apr 24, 2016
    Parkland, Wa
    It's like it's compacted or constipated. Yes it is a little prolapsed I think because she keeps trying to go but is having a hard time.

5. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Do you have any epsom salts? If so add a little to her drinking water...it acts as a laxative...if she has a prolapse that will need treatment...it may be a good idea to put some vaseline under her cloaca to allow free passage of her fecal matter without it sticking to the feathers...pasty butt is often as a result of worm infestations...when she is in better health from this...maybe de worm her if she has no been de wormed within the past few months...

Hope this helps!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Actually, pasty butt in chicks is usually caused by some sort of stress, not worms.

7. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    As an afterthought...any chance she may be trying to pass an egg and is having difficulty? If you suspect she may...you can bathe her in warm water and massage her underside towards her cloaca...

8. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    In a chick I would agree...however if this is an adult chicken it can be caused by a worm infestation in the digestive tract...

9. Addiesmommy

Apr 24, 2016
    Parkland, Wa

Sorry I guess I should have said she was only a couple days old. I got it cleared and she is doing great. [​IMG] Thank you for the insight though. Once they go outside I may de-worm them. [​IMG]

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chickens don't usually need to be wormed until they've been outside for a few months. I only use a dewormer if my flock is showing symptoms of a problem. It's a pretty strong medication, so I try to limit the use of it as much as possible.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by