PASTY BUTT!!!!! HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickfluff, Apr 15, 2009.

1. chickfluff

chickfluff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    ok, my chick has a bunch of poo stuck to her rump! I'm sure it's pasty butt! Help! I'm not sure how to treat it?? HELP QUICKLY PLEASE! Do I soak it in warm water? I put a warm wet paper towel there first, but it didn't go away!
    Can I trim the poop off? HELP!

P.S.- she is only two days old, if that is important

I don't want to lose her !!!!! [​IMG]

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    If it's not too large I just wrip it off on 3. 1 2 3 wrip! a little peep and it's all over. If there's a lot of poop soak it first and then gently rub it off.

3. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Ok, don't worry. THis is what I do & it has worked every time.

First I take an old plastic container(coolwhip type) and put some very warm water in it.

Then I hold the chicken's butt in it to soften up the poo. (My chicks always seem to love this part & stop peeping loudly)

Then I take a warm wet paper towel to gently remove the poo. If it does not all come off, I hold the chick in the water again.

I dry the chick off a bit with another dry paper towel & put it back in the brooder to dry off.

Usually the same chick has the problem again, so if it is a light colored chick, I dab it with some food coloring on the head, so I can ID it more quickly & check it more often.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    This does work because i just did it. At first I tried to use a baby wipe, didn't do a thing. Then I took a small 1/2 cup jar (I used to make my own baby food) and filled it with lukewarm water (like you would a baby). After letting the chick soak for a few the poo came right off. And then came the FLOOD of poo. I finished cleaning as fast as I could and used a qtip to apply baby oil.

5. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    They really seem to enjoy the sitz bath as well; and will reward you with a big poop afterwards 1[​IMG]

6. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Well I read somewhere chicks don't like getting wet, so you take a damp towel and wipe the poo off.

7. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Quote:They seem to like it when their butts are all sticky and itchy with poo. Mine relax as soon as the heinie hits the water. I was surprised too because I expected a fight.

8. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Mine was calm and quiet during it and didn't start peeping and complaining until after I took her out of it.

9. chickfluff

chickfluff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    Thank you everyone!! She made it!!! [​IMG] I put her in some warm water for a few minutes, then rubbed the poo of with a damp paper towel, and yes! she did a big poo, and her butt is nice and fluffy now!! [​IMG] Thanks again!

10. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    basically you have the brooder TOOOOOO HOT
    that is what causes it

do you have ventilation for the brooder not wind on them just some where the new air gets in

NOW HERE IS WHAT TO DO

take a gallon of feed and add 1 cup of white play school sand and mix very good

now feed it to the chicks
    and see what the temperature of the brooder is
    It should be around 95
    not much higher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by