Pasty butt, hunched up. crop turned from red to purple

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensforfun, Mar 14, 2012.

1. chickensforfun

chickensforfun New Egg

May 9, 2011
    It's not freezing here so purple crop is not a temp related issue I don't think. Some pasty butt noted a few days ago. Now she is all hunched up and somewhat lethargic. I read somewhere to give baking soda and something else but I've forgotten and cannot find it anywhere. Any suggestions? I am not seeing parasites. Just wormed whole flock of 15 recently. The rest are fine.

2. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    I have exactly the same thing going on with my rooster right now--hope you find an answer. He has loose stool being mostly white. I have no idea but looks like I may lose him. good luck with your hen.

3. chickensforfun

chickensforfun New Egg

May 9, 2011
    I pulled her out of the coop and inside. She ate some pellets and some yogurt and drank some water. When I checked on her this morning she was just ok. I am going to pick up some probiotics today and take a closer look for lice. Pasty butt is just so nasty to clean up. Hope your Roo is ok.

4. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    I found him dead this morning. There are just so many illnesses they can get--who knows!! Wouldn't it be wonderful if they came out with a one dose fix-it-all we could just give them once a year!!! I have a new rooster that hatched out right before christmas (his son)and he has been crowing all day. Pretty young and he sounds funny but he may be Cogburns replacement. I try not to get attached, but I hated to see him suffer and die. Hope your girl stays well!!

5. chickensforfun

chickensforfun New Egg

May 9, 2011
    I'm sorry about your loss. It is hard to see any animal suffer but sometimes you just can't save them no matter what you do. It goes for all livestock. Glad you have a teenage roo to take the new role. They sound so funny learning to crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by