Pasty butt in barred rocks only

Doodledoo4

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Hello! This is our first time raising chicks! We have 13 total and a variety of breeds (Easter eggers, barred rocks, and some brown ones). All from the same local hatchery delivered to our local feed store.

We brought them home 3 days ago and initially just one had pasty butt and now 2 more. They are all barred rocks. I was just curious if certain breeds are more prone to pasty but than others? The first one to get it is looking good this morning and the didn’t need to clean her up at all so hopefully this trend continues. All our other chicks back ends look great and I’m hoping it stays that way!

I’ve read a lot of conflicting reports on how to prevent it but am thinking of doing probiotics in water or apple cider vinegar. Right now they have an eco glow warmer, fresh water, fresh water with electrolytes, and their feed. We haven’t given them any other food yet.

is this something that they will eventually grow out of after a few days or weeks?

thanks so much!

Sometimes it just happens, breeds have nothing to do with it. I would NOT give the probiotics, their chick starter contains plenty. Electrolytes are good and ACV can help support a healthy biodome but in limited quantities. Fresh water is best, make sure it’s cleaned and freshened thoroughly every day. Clean the pasty butts daily and as they grow older they should grow out of it.

Sometimes it just happens, breeds have nothing to do with it. I would NOT give the probiotics, their chick starter contains plenty. Electrolytes are good and ACV can help support a healthy biodome but in limited quantities. Fresh water is best, make sure it’s cleaned and freshened thoroughly every day. Clean the pasty butts daily and as they grow older they should grow out of it.
Thanks so much for the response. As a first timer it’s hard to accept that these things just happen sometimes. I’ll be sure to keep a close eye on them these first weeks and try to catch any problems early on.

Hello! This is our first time raising chicks! We have 13 total and a variety of breeds (Easter eggers, barred rocks, and some brown ones). All from the same local hatchery delivered to our local feed store.

We brought them home 3 days ago and initially just one had pasty butt and now 2 more. They are all barred rocks. I was just curious if certain breeds are more prone to pasty but than others? The first one to get it is looking good this morning and the didn’t need to clean her up at all so hopefully this trend continues. All our other chicks back ends look great and I’m hoping it stays that way!

I’ve read a lot of conflicting reports on how to prevent it but am thinking of doing probiotics in water or apple cider vinegar. Right now they have an eco glow warmer, fresh water, fresh water with electrolytes, and their feed. We haven’t given them any other food yet.

is this something that they will eventually grow out of after a few days or weeks?

thanks so much!
Your story is similar to mine. Except the pasty butt happened to the RI Reds and a couple bantams. The barred rock and sapphire gems never got crappy pants.

I’m happy to report after the week or two it all seemed to clear up and nobody has had an pasty butt! Still not sure what was going on but I’m glad it was just a few days of it.

Back
Top Bottom