Pasty butt in chicks. What to do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boykin2010, Nov 11, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I have recently gotten an order of chicks from McMurray and it seems I have some chicks that are getting pasty butt. I have been doing some reading on here on what to do and it seems like some people think i should pick the crust off. I tried to do that butt the chick started bleeding a little when i started to peel it off so i left it. Should i continue to peel it off even if it bleeds? Some info that may help yall figure out what to do is :
    They are kept in a brooder with a heat lamp that is keeping them at about 85- 90 degrees. I have been trying to get the temps up more but the outside temperature fluctuates so much it is hard to keep the brooder at a constant temp. The chicks are eating chick starter and have access to fresh water. They are on wood chip bedding.
    All the chicks seem to be eating and drinking fine and are very active.
    The chicks are about 4 to 5 days old.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    You should Gently rub the paste off with a cotton swap and warm water. You can also use a pair of tweezers to gently pick small bits once wet. Trying to pick it off dry, might cause the chick to bleed, like you have discovered. It might take 2x to remove the paste from their bottoms.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

No don't pull it off. Use a washcloth/towel/clean rag and warm water, just work it off with the warm water. Dry chick off and keep warm until completely dry.

4. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    I used a tupperware bowl full of warm water. Hold the chicks bottom in the water for about 45-60 seconds and wipe the poo off while the bottom is still in the water. Came right off. The chick is going to be ticked, but they get over it quickly.

5. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    agreed warm water and a cotton swab works best for me. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why broody hen chicks never seem to have this problem? Does the mama hen clean their heinies for them?

6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Its because pasty butt is due to stress (like from shipping) and they don't really get stressed when they are with a mommy.

7. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I soaked their bottoms in warm water and used a little bit of dawn dishwashing liquid to help loosen it further.

The only time I experienced pasty butt was when they got chilled. You may check the temp around them and see if that is helping to cause it.

8. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    when you're done soaking the poo off, it doesn't hurt to take a q-tip and dip it in olive oil. Then GENTLY moisten the area around the vent which will keep the future poo from sticking to the down.

Good luck with your chicks, the pasty butt will end in a few days...

9. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Ok thanks. Tommorow morning i will get a bowl of warm water and do that. They did get chilled yesterday. The brooder was in my older shed and i dont think the heat lamp was low enough. The drafts in the shed got really cold. I moved them to my garage with the doors closed so the drafts are at a minimum and they are warmer.
    Thank you all for your help

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have brooded chicks I purchased, chicks I hatched in an incubator AND let broody hens hatch chicks. NONE of the home-hatched chicks ever got pasty butt.

You've already gotten the advice on how to remove the dried excrement - washing it off IS best. Adding the oil is a nice plus. IF you have been adding sugar to the chicks' water, STOP now. That's ONLY for the first day of extreme stress when you unpack them. Also, a too warm brooder can also induce pasty butt!

I don't use lamps any more, but have invested in Brinsea EcoGlow brooder heaters. (One is sufficient for 20 chicks, but I was running more than one brooder at a time, one EcoGlow in each.) They work like momma, because there is no light, the chicks huddle under the unit when they're cold and run out and back as they please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by