Pasty butt in four day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Georgetownchick, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Georgetownchick

Georgetownchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    I had seven chicks born this past Saturday night. I am new to chickens. I noticed two tonight had poop stuck to them. I read the forums and did the suggestions and ended up soaking their bottoms in warm water and cleaning them off and then I applied olive oil to their bottoms to help them hopefully go easier. I read you can also add oatmeal to their food. I have instant oatmeal but it is maple sugar flavored and I didn't think that would be good for them. I also have a can of plain steel cut oats. Would that work? Do I just sprinkle it on their food? Thanks!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I've never used oatmeal, especially for chicks that young. I just put a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in their quart waterer each day and no more messy butts. Been doing that for years and pasty butt here is unheard of.

Edited to add: This is the raw, unfiltered ACV you would find in the health food section of your grocery store, label needs to say "with the mother". Bragg's is a common brand.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  3. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    X 2 and make sure you add the apple cider vinegar in plastic waterer and not in the galvanized ones because it will rust overtime.

4. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    My hatchery advised me to give my babies electrolytes daily to prevent this condition. I did as they recommended and didn't have any problems with pasty butt. I still give my pullets the same mixture but now only once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by