Pasty butt in one chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Was just reading this http://chickenjunkie.com/raising-chickens/baby-chicks-with-pasty-butts/ and was wanting to ask a question but couldn't online.

It states to get them to eat some mashed egg yolk or plain yogurt. What age??? Our chicks (2 of them) are only about 3 days old.

I have one chick with it. Got her free from TSC because she was stuck under a water bucket, she seemed okay yesterday, but this morning she has pasty butt. I have never dealt with pasty butt before. I have been giving her ACV with a dropper, how much and how often???

Also cleaning with warm water.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you want to give raw ACV, the easiest way is in their drinking water, about a tablespoon per gallon. They can all have it.
    It wouldn't hurt for all of them to have yogurt. Plain of course. I just mix it in with some of their feed.
    Regardless of what feed they have, grit will help too. I sprinkle a little #1 chick grit with their feed for the first couple days. Then provide it in a separate container so they can choose to eat it.

If they were pecking around the barnyard with a mother hen they would be picking up some grit as well as getting probiotics from her by eating some of her feces.

2 people like this.
  3. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I only have regular ACV. I cannot for the life of me find any organic or raw ACV around here. I have been looking since last years brood.

How do I get them to actually eat the yogurt? I never had this issue with any of my other broods. They all loved yogurt and boiled eggs from the start.

I wish one of my hens was broody right now, I would put them out with them.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are they eating at all? I just put the yogurt in a small dish and sprinkle the feed on top and they eat it up.

I wouldn't bother with the ACV since it isn't raw, it is basically sterile so will have no health benefits other than being an acidifier.

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    The one that doesn't have pasty butt is eating the feed, not the yogurt or egg. But the one who does have pasty butt doesn't seem to be. I have dip her beak into the water and the yogurt and eggs, but she does nothing. She "nibbled" on some feed last night, but that was about it.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds like she needs a boost. Put some sugar, agave nectar or honey in her water for energy. A drop of poly-vi-sol (without iron) available at the drug store.
    You might have to thin the yogurt with warm water and use a dropper or something else to get it into her crop. Make sure the yogurt or whatever else they get is room temperature.

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Okay put some honey in another jar (jelly jar size) of water, kinda warm. Stole a digital thermometer out of the bearded dragons tank, no worries, he has another one.

I will do some more yogurt in a bit.

I was going to ask, when I give her small drops of water she will tilt her head all the way back to he back and she would fall over if I am not holding her. Is this "normal"? I mean I know chicks and chickens will tilt their heads up when drinking but her head goes all the way back that she will fall over. Also her little eyes will stay shut when she drinks, but she doesn't act like she is gasping for air though.

8. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma
    I found my organic ACV at a Sprouts Farmers Market store.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  9. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I don't know what that is, Sprouts Farmers Market?

We don't have any farmers market open here yet. And none of them carry products like that. I am going to go to a herbal store today and see if they have it. I have never seen it there before, but I will look again and ask if I don't find it.

The little one that had the pasty butt is not going to make it. Although I have not had to clean her bottom anymore she just was not doing well. Never got her to eat good and even getting the sugar water and yogurt down her was not enough.

The other chick still seems fine but she "senses" she is alone. I don't have room for 7 chicks in our coop as I would have to buy 6 more chicks so this one would not be lonely, (can brood 7 not a problem) I have room for maybe 3 more chickens in our coop/runs. If we can get the ducks out of there, I would have room for 7 but have to be smaller than RIR (that is what these 2 are).

10. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by