Pasty Butt Issues, failure to thrive?

pony007

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Anderson, CA, USA
My Coop
My Coop
First a little backstory.. I had my chicks mail ordered, and after 2 days shipping, i opened the box to 12 happy chicks and one chick who got stuck upside down away from the group. She was near death, but I was able to revive her with the cars heater vents.
Fast foreward 1 week later shes been having chronic pasty butt and hasn't really grown much, aside from fearhering. I have to clean her and oil her butt 1 to 2 times every day. Because of the frequent washings i think her vent is getting dried out, and feels almost scab like when dry.
Tonight when i can home her vent was completly pasted over and she was lethargic. So i cleaned her, and after 2 giant poops she was acting normal again. However, as the night continued i heard 1 chick screaming bloody muder every half hour or so. When I'd check on everyone, little Lucky would have a new poop stuck to her butt. I think pooping might be painful to her because of the scabby vent and she screeches whenever shes gotta go.
When shes not pooping or pasted up she acts like the rest, happily running pecking eating and drinking. Ive been giving everyone vitamin and electrolytes in their water.
Is there something i could put on the vent as a moisturiser? Is there anything i could try to give her to help her catch up in size with the rest?
This is only my second batch of chicks so i really dont know how to best help the little one.

Maybe try feeding her a little olive or coconut oil once or twice a day to help keep things moving, and try a little coconut oil on her vent too. Just try not to get it on her fluff as the other chicks will pick at the areas where the fluff is all squashed down and naked looking.

You could also try feeding her some cooked egg and maybe add some Nutri-drench to their water for a few days.

Solution for pasty but is to add 3/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar for a quart of water. You can add it to the communal waterer, it won’t hurt if other chicks don’t have pasty butt. If it doesn’t work, you can add more apple cider vinegar, up to 1 tsp. I recommend you try this electrolyte mix to prevent pasty butt in the future:

per 1 quart water

4 cups warm water
2tbsp + 1 tsp white granulated sugar or molasses
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp potassium chloride

Only feed this to chicks while they are in the brooder. Once they move out, it’s best to move to a store bought electrolyte mix. Just add this to their water. The best way to find potassium chloride is to find a salt substitute in the store. Just adjust the recipe to the size of your waterer. Hope this helps!!!

You can also put their food into some plain, greek yogurt, scrambled egg, or cornmeal.

Solution for pasty but is to add 3/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar for a quart of water. You can add it to the communal waterer, it won’t hurt if other chicks don’t have pasty butt. If it doesn’t work, you can add more apple cider vinegar, up to 1 tsp. I recommend you try this electrolyte mix to prevent pasty butt in the future:

per 1 quart water

4 cups warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Only feed this to chicks while they are in the brooder. Once they move out, it’s best to move to a store bought electrolyte mix. Just add this to their water. The best way to find potassium chloride is to find a salt substitute in the store. Just adjust the recipe to the size of your waterer. Hope this helps!!!

You can also put their food into some plain, greek yogurt, scrambled egg, or cornmeal.
That is every helpful thank you! I will give the apple cider vinegar a try. I currently am using Rooster Booster in their water for electrolytes, is that ok to add with the apple cider vinegar?
I did give them scrambled eggs last night and this afternoon and they went insane over them!
Lucky's pasty butt has cleared up, at least today, so I'm hoping that it stays away.

That is every helpful thank you! I will give the apple cider vinegar a try. I currently am using Rooster Booster in their water for electrolytes, is that ok to add with the apple cider vinegar?
I did give them scrambled eggs last night and this afternoon and they went insane over them!
Lucky's pasty butt has cleared up, at least today, so I'm hoping that it stays away.
Yes, I would try the vinegar along with the supplements you are already gibing them. If that still doesn’t work, id switch to the homemade electrolyte mix for just a week or so and see how it goes. Thast good that they ate the scrambled eggs, maybe tomorrow try cornmeal or yogurt? I. Find that These work well too. Good luck, and let me know!

per 1 quart water

4 cups warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

This mixture cured my chick of constipation. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom