Pasty butt on a silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Omani, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Omani

Omani Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    I have a silkie pullet that is 14 weeks old. I noticed that she was a little lethargic a couple of days ago, but thought that it was due to the heat. When I opened their coop this morning, she didn't come out with the others. She didn't even move and I thought she was dead. When I picked her up, she moved, so I brought her in the house where it's cooler. I checked her all over and found the pasty mess. I cleaned her up, let her rest a couple of hours and finished the job.
    The first poop came out a few minutes after the initial cleaning. It was dark and REALLY smelly. It's been 8 hours and all that's come out since has been white and watery. She has been eating and drinking, not as much as I would like, though. I did put some electrolites in her water.
    I decided to give her bum a trim just so this wouldn't happen again. As I was trimming, I found what looked like a piece of grass sticking out of her. I pulled. And pulled. And pulled until it was 6 inches long and I felt resistance. So I stopped and cut it off about 2 inches away from her. I checked on her just now and the grass seems to be going back IN, not OUT!
    I don't know what to do. Is this grass the cause of all her problems? Why didn't she digest it? Do I pull on it every couple of hours or just leave it alone? Is there something I can give her to help it along?
    Please help. She's my Hubby's sweatheart.

2. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    [​IMG] Oh wow! Can you take her to a vet. I am praying for you and your silkie!

3. Omani

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    Not at the moment. The only Vet is about 1 1/2 hours away and they don't see chickens.
    Thank you, though.

4. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Any News? How is your chickie?

5. Omani

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    I have sad news. Our silkie, Phyllis, died Sunday afternoon. My Husband is heart broken. She was his sweetie. [​IMG]
    I don't know what happened. She was eating and drinking. She was walking around a bit. We put her in a cage for the night and let her out the next morning.
    Just after lunch my DH went to check on her and she was gone.
    ericsgirlie, thank you for your kind thoughts.

6. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    I am so sorry [​IMG] We have baby silkies right now, you are welcome to have one [​IMG] It would be a long drive, but would love to give you one [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by