Pasty butt on Araucana mix?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaryZoe, Mar 4, 2017.

1. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Is this normal skin and vent[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG] on an Araucana x BC Marans mix? I got these chicks a couple days ago. Maybe the stress of a new environment caused pasty butt. I rinsed it off and this is what it looks like. Is something else going in? Never had an Araucana blend, so never seen such a butt!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What's your brooder temp?
    Is there enough space to get away from the heat - cooler areas of the brooder?

It looks like the vent needs to cleaned. Rinse the bum under warm water or you can give her a soak in some warm epsom salts and gently remove any poop. The skin looks a bit swollen - you can apply some honey or hemorrhoid cream to help reduce swelling.

Watch to see if she is drinking well and offer some her chick starter (wet) made into a mash.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can't really see the vent there to know if it's abnormal or not.

4. MaryZoe

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    I have rinsed and dried her poor little vent so many times that I feel bad for her. It was hard to get her clean. She sings like a song-bird every time she poops--I think it's a sign of pain. I use a warm wet napkin to wipe her bottom when she sings (poops), but I can't be there every time. I moved her and her 2 best buds into a separate brooder inside my house. I think there's enough warm and cool places in her brooder. I feel so bad for her. I've used Preparation H all day today as well. Hope it's not poisonous b/c she preens her bottom (unsuccessfully) every time she poops as well. Poor sweetie! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Watch to see if she is drinking plenty of water. You can also offer wet chick starter to see if this will help.
    Do you provide them with grit?

6. MaryZoe

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Thanks for your comment, Wyorp Rock. I put Gatorade as well as water in their brooder today, so even if she just drinks a little it should be good for her. When she started with this she was in a coop with a place for sand bathing for the chicks, so yes, they had grit available. Today she's a little better. I try to keep her bottom as clean as possible, including a warm water rinse a two to three times a day and Preparation H twice a day. These lengthy warm water rinses seem to have made the difference. She has shown improvement, so I am cautiously hopeful tonight. I did not feel this way last night. I was wondering whether she'd live through the night. But so far, so good today. Fingers crossed! :)

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear you are seeing some improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by