pasty butt on laying hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Theda's Mom, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    Hi, My girls have just begun to lay and one of them, the Light Brahma, has developed what looks a lot like pasty butt. Her vent appears to be clear (the goop is further down on her hind end), but is this normal for first-time (or anytime) layers? Other than the unsightly mess on her behind, the hen seems perfectly happy and healthy.
    Thanks, Susan

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

bumped this up for you, I have one with same thing.wondering what IF anything I should do?

3. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I have seen it on a few of my silky hens who have alot of feathering. I just clipped it off checked for any infestations . I have had a few hens who get lazy and poop in their broody box. Make sure that all are not stressed, have enough boxes to lay in- even though they may all seem to want the same box at the sam time.

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    My laying hens don't have actual pasty butt, but the ones that get mated frequently have a strip of dirty feathers below their vent. I'm thinking that the excess "rooster juice" [​IMG] traps dirt. The hens that aren't laying or aren't favored by my roosters have nice clean fluff below the vents.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have one hen that has always had a poopy butt, even when she was a little baby. Her vent is never blocked, either, but her feathers are full of poop. I just give her a bath in the sink (with gloves on, yuck!) and then blow dry her butt! She really seems to like it. You'd have a real problem if her vent was being blocked, but since it's not, just keep on her and clip some of her feathers so they don't stick as bad.

6. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    Thanks, everyone. This is helpful. I'm headed out of town tomorrow on a business trip, but I'll relay your suggestions to my husband--who will be thrilled, I'm sure! [​IMG]

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by