pasty butt or Salmonella Pulorum?? urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Apr 12, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    over the last few years ive raised hundreds of chicks (chicken, duck, turkey, quail, pheasant) and never ever had to deal with pasty butt. until this week.
    batch of bought eggs from a local breeder. hatched last wednesday so nearly a week old. every single chick that hatched from these eggs is suffering with pasty butt, i didnt notice at first and lost a couple but am now washing fuzzy butts every day and applying vaseline after seeing the cause. they are in a brooder with about 40 other chicks (hatched from my own eggs) none of which are suffering pasty butt so im ruiling out an enviromental factor and food problem.

ive heard of people having a few chicks with pasty butt, normally one here and one there...but a whole group? all same breed, same parents, same hatch. could this be a genetic defect or just plain bad luck. i bought these chicks to hopefully get some australorp hens to put with my roo's to start a breeding flock. i dont wanna breed them though if theres a chance this is a genetic problem??

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I have had same problem this year real bad [​IMG]
    most time I have one per hatch of chicks but this time it's been several this time.

I guess it could be the feed?

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Could they have pullorum?

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    have never heard of that but just looked it up..salmonella? oh gee... [​IMG] does sound like that.
    have lost 4 chicks today in the brooder since last posting.....

im guessing all will be infected if it is that??? i have antibiotics here...should i start administering that or is this something that i should consider a total cull [​IMG] all my rare breeds are in that brooder too

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You should probably get them tested to see what is causing the deaths.

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    pips&peeps :

You should probably get them tested to see what is causing the deaths.

Jean,
    It's my understanding that the chickens cannot be tested for Salmonella Pulorum and S. Typhoid until they reach sexual maturity at aprox 4 months old. I get that from the class I took from the USDA. Did I miss something?​

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    needing some urgent advice please, this morning no pasty looking butts but another 2 died over night, one of the original pasty butt crew and one of my rare breeds (so thats 8 chicks dead in 24 hours now)

theres about 30 chicks still in that brooder....what do i do????

i have amoxycillan for people here, could i crush up the tablets and administer in the water? or sprinkle over the food?

or denagard, i have that too?

or do i cull them all? how do i know if it is salmonella if i cant get week old chicks tested?

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Honestly, if you sell eggs or chicks. i'd cull them now.
    UNLESS you want to pay to get them tested....

9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i would pay to get them tested, but the nearest person dealing with chickens is 2 towns over and i dont drive, i couldnt carry the chicks on the bus it would be too cold without heat lamp.

is there any chance it could be anything else before i cull all these little ones? [​IMG]

10. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    This "pasty butt", is there a ring of WHITE? If so, that is a signal it COULD be S. Pullorum.

I'd like to know where you got these from. Does that person/farm have any on site testing of their flock?
    Ask to see the records. Ask for a "Form 9-3". That would put your mind at ease for the badder diseases and let you focus on something else.
    You may have a disease. Keep things sterile between your grown flock (clean), and your chicks (dirty). Always go from clean to dirty. Alway disinfect beween and after each. Don't rush. Always ASSUME your new additions are dirty until proven otherwise.

I have read on BYC, very experienced people reporting that they are raising 1 breed and different variety/colors of that breed. They report that only 1 variety/color is pasting up. Try not to panic. Easy for me to say since it's not my babies in the brooder I know, but clean clean clean, and watch carefully is what I reccomend,,,,unless there is the ring of white. Then I would be very concerned.

Can you possibly separate the babies, healthy from suspect?
    I'm going to ask a cyber friend of mine to join this thread - she's very experienced in brooding - maybe she will have better answers for you.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by