Pasty butt or umbilical cord?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by selenag, Apr 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. selenag

selenag Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Florida
    I got a new batch of chicks and one of them has this hard poop looking stuff near their bum and i could use some advice on what it is.

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is it right under the tail? Than pasty butt. Further down towards the belly is the umbilical cord. To me it looks like poop.

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  3. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    Agreed, looks like poop, but it does look low. Can you see the vent above the yuck or just below the tail? If thr vent is visible and clear, I would leave it alone for now and watch closely. It isn't going to hurt to rinse it. I normally get a small, warm stream of water going and actually put the chickie butt under the faucet. Sometimes dried poo needs to be broken up a bit to remove it, but you do need to be careful not to actually pick the umbilical scab off. I hold the chick in one hand and gently rub with the index finger of the other hand.

aart and Mybackyardpeepers like this.
  4. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Umbilical cord. Vent higher than that. Don’t remove it let it fall off. Keep an eye on it, a larger umbilical scab will assist helping poop to stack up and clog it. Should be long and it will come off. Vent above it so picture looks. Go all the way to very end and you should find.

chickens really and aart like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This might help:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: