Pasty butt or umbilical !?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tortega18, Apr 17, 2016.

1. tortega18

tortega18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    I had a chick hatch either early this morning or late last night and I put it in the brooder box and that's when I saw a thin string attached to its actual vent. It's like a thin brown string going down his back side with a black hard thing attached to it . I've tried washing it and putting Vaseline and nothing is helping. I even tried peroxide to help loosen the string and that didn't help either. Is this pasty butt or umbilical cord? And I had a good view it is attached to the vent . Just a thin string . Nothing else smeared around it

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    It sounds to me like the umbilical that they can sometimes still have attached when they hatch. I would leave it for now and it should dry up and fall off on its own accord. Please don't pull it as it may cause a rupture.

Could you post a pic of it?

3. tortega18

tortega18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    I will try to post a pic later so I can have some help taking the pic. The umbilical comes out the vent ? Some has fallen off but now it's just a black thin string coming out . No poop smeared around it

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Umbilical does not come out of the vent so it may just be hatch gunk that's got stuck if it's not from the umbilical area ~

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by