Pasty butt or??

petejd

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 25, 2011
Bluffton, SC.
I have 3-4 day old chicks. Just wondering if they have pasty butt or just poo on their rear end? I soaked their rear end in water and wiped off the residual. (well as much as I could).. Should that be enough?

Chicks should not have poo on the butts. If they do, I hold their rears under the faucet, with tepid water. As the sticky, hard poo softens, I gently crumble it off. I do not pull, because pulling can take feathers with it. Dab dry and apply some olive oil or vasoline. This will keep the area from getting as sticky next time. Normally, there is a next time.

Sticky poo can be caused by the stress of shipping and handling. If it continues, it is often caused by de-hydration and being too hot, which are related.

Quote:
I had the same issue and I didnt use a heat lamp, used an ecoglow which is radiant heat, so I would worry about a heat issue. From what I read it's a stress issue, were they shipped? I had 2 chicks with it, one was minor one was a bit more intensive. The minor one I had to wash a few times, the other chick I had to clean a couple times a day for about 4-5 days. Then she was fine
smile.png

Good luck

The good news is this. Normally, it is a temporary issue. By the time most chicks are 2 or 3 weeks old, the brooder temps are down, the chicks have settled in and the problem tends to go away. Not all chicks get it. Yes, it a condition that requires action, but it isn't something you'll have to deal with forever.

Yes, they were shipped. After cleaning two up this morning, they seem to be doing ok now. I will keep my eye on them to head this off at the past. Thanks for all the information. Glad to hear that it is temporary.

Back
Top Bottom