Pasty Butt???? Please help me!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new_to_the_coop, Sep 25, 2010.

1. new_to_the_coop

new_to_the_coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Hi everyone. I have two week-old chicks. They seemed to be pooping just fine. In fact, they are eating, drinking and pooping up a storm! When we pick them up, their butts look fine. However, when I spread the down feathers I noticed that one has a hard black glob near her vent. I have tried soaking the dropping with a warm washcloth. After several attempts, and MUCH PROTEST on her behalf, the glob is still there. I CAN NOT GET IT OFF!!!! Should I keep at it? I am so afraid of hurting her. I have no idea if this is pasty butt, or something else. I will try to get a pic and post asap. HELP!!! [​IMG]

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    If it is the naval....don't remove it...If it is poo at the end of the butt then soak it off or it will not be able to eat...

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Is it part of the chick, or just poop? If it's poop, you can use baby oil to loosen it. Then take a small manicure scissor and cut it off. As long as the chick's butt is free of blockage, you should be OK.
    I usually just massage it with warm water (gross) and it eventually falls off.

4. new_to_the_coop

Aug 31, 2010
    Geebs - you are a life saver - and I am a total IDIOT!!! It was the navel. [​IMG] After more research I realized that's what is was; and I also realized what a fool I am!!! I hope I didn't cause her any harm by trying to soak off her navel... [​IMG]

THANK YOU for your quick responses!!!!!! And try not to think less of me for my idiocy [​IMG] I'll post pics of my new babies soon!!!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

EGADS, we don't want a naveless chickie on the rampage!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:That's exactly why I joined BYC! Who knew chicks have navels???? Never gave it a thought, it makes sense now that you mention it but....
    Thank goodness we have lifesavers on here. Yep they sometimes inadvertanly make us look like fools, but they help us save our chicks!!! And you're not an IDIOT, you were just uneducated and now you're smart!

7. new_to_the_coop

Aug 31, 2010
    Hahahahaha!!!! Usually I don't admit to my ridiculous mistakes - but I figured it was actually pretty funny, so why not share!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    With that attitude, you'll be fun to have on BYC!![​IMG] Sometimes we just need a laugh. (Remember we're not laughing AT you we're laughing WITH you) [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Ok, now we need chick pics if you have them, so we can see cute little fluffy butts!!!!!

[​IMG]

10. nifty50chick

nifty50chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    LMAO I did the same thing![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by