Pasty butt prevention?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by plreef, Feb 14, 2009.

1. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    I noticed that a lot of my NH Reds chicks have pasty butt. All of my EE chicks seem to be fine. Is the anything I should be doing to prevent this? I've been wetting it down and and cleaning it off but for 30+ chick its a pain in the arse.

Thanks in advance, Jas!

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The only time I've had a problem with pasty butt was when I gave my chicks sugar water.

So the only thing I know of to prevent is to avoid sugar water... don't know if that helps you at all.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm sorry Jas, it is a pain in the patoot. You are doing the right thing, keeping them cleaned off. They will get over it in about a week.

4. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Add one tablespoon of molasses to a gallon of water for about a week. It is natural laxative for poultry. Works great and rids the paste butt.

5. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I allways take a q-tip and dip it in a bit of olive oil or veg oil and give them little swabbing of it. Go from the center and roll the q-tip as you go around the butt in a circle. I do this when I put them in the brooder and usually don't have any problems afterwards.

Jayare

6. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    Thanks for the replys!

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Use tepid, room temperature drinking water. Too cold and it can cause pasting. Also, make sure the brooder temp is right and they have space to get away from the heat or snuggle under it as needed. Some chicks react to overheating/chilling via pasting.

8. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    We add cracked corn and a little grit to the chick starter on the first day until about 3 or 4 weeks. It seems to prevent the pasty butt. I also gets the gizzard working good.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't have chicks shipped when it's really cold. Now I wait until the shipping weather is better. That works for me.

10. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I had heard that adding a little bit of oats in with your starter crumbles helps pasty butt and no sugar water because that makes it worse. I know that you are supposed to give them sugar water when you received your chicks in the mail but I don't believe you are supposed to leave them on it regularly. It is only for a boost of energy to help them recover from their trip and fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by