Pasty butt prevention?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenkerri, Mar 5, 2009.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Is there anything I can do to help my little silkie chicks? They all have such buildup in their vents and I'm tired of picking it off! [​IMG]

2. Sassymygirl

Sassymygirl Miss Equestrian

Sep 16, 2008
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Did you give them a bath?

3. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Stress can cause pasty butt or not enough room in the brooder for them to get away from the heat. Never pull the poop off! Use a qtip with warm water or stick their little butt under some warm water making sure to not to get their whole body wet. Warm water takes it right off. I use vaseline after I clean their little butts. Helps with poop not sticking. I have a friend that kept pulling the poop off and one time she got more than poop....[​IMG]

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    i've heard of people who just pick the dry waste away feathers and all, so it doesnt build up again. Its like pulling hairs out of your skin- its unpleasant for the chicks but solves the build up problem.

I had a chick that even though i wetted its bum in warm water and carefully picked and wiped away the build up still lost all her little bum feathers... I dont like it because now she's bare and it draws attention to her for the other chicks to pick.

I'd use warm water and some vaseline.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by