Pasty butt problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Isilvertoes, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Isilvertoes

Isilvertoes In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2019
    Northern California
    Im new to the community and I was wondering if anyone can help me out with my the problem Im having with my 4-days old baby chicks pasty butt.

I have read that whenever a baby chick has a pasty butt, always use warm water and gently removed the excess dry poop. The problem for me is, everytime I do the method, they would end up dying on me after couple of hours of cleaning the poop out. I would think the baby chicks are healthy due to always cleaning their environment around them with clean water and abundant of chick starter food; furthermore, they just look really healthy without any problem. I have lost 2 ayam cemani and 1 silkie baby chicks. I have 2 ayam cemani and 3 silkie left and hoping they dont get any dry poop in their butt to avoid further death. If anyone could help me out and point what Im doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers!

JedJackson likes this.
  2. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Pasty vent can be caused by several things. Too high of a temerature in the brooder is usually the culprit. Feed can also cause it, adding scrambled eggs to the feed may clear it up, if it does clear up after a day or two, then consider getting 'new' feed. Probiotics can also be added to their water.

When washing the poop off, use warm running water, do not pull any stuck on poop from the chick as this could tear the skin and down from the vent area.
    After washing, dry with a towel and blow dry with a hairdryer set on low heat. Don't let the area being dried get too hot. Don't let the chick become 'chilled' during the process. A chilled chick can die very quickly.

Isilvertoes, Anaray and JedJackson like this.
  3. Anaray

Anaray Chirping

Jun 1, 2018
    Germany
    When you say you are cleaning the poop out, are you going inside the vent?

JedJackson and 007Sean like this.
  4. Isilvertoes

Jan 14, 2019
    Northern California
    No, what I see on the outside of its butt and around the butt is what Im removing.

JedJackson, Anaray and 007Sean like this.
  5. Anaray

Anaray Chirping

Jun 1, 2018
    Germany
    Ok, just wanted to make sure.

Isilvertoes and JedJackson like this.
  6. Isilvertoes

Jan 14, 2019
    Northern California
    It might be the cold considering I would only pat their butt without completely drying them, then putting them back right away in thier place.

Anaray, 007Sean and JedJackson like this.
  7. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    What are you using for litter in the brooder? If it's sawdust, change it out because baby chicks will eat that and it causes pasty butt.

Anaray likes this.
  8. Isilvertoes

Jan 14, 2019
    Northern California

Im using cut-up cardboard box that I would constantly replace following the next day.

JedJackson likes this.
  9. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Okay, so they're not likely to be eating that. Just another thing to rule out.

007Sean likes this.
  10. my partridge silkie now has this. I found it in the brooder with a bloody butt from the maran chick attacking its butt. I removed the maran, it had bit all the biddies's butts. Now though, my partridge chick "Chip" is not interested in eating and not itself. It has pasty butt. I am washing it off with a damp paper towel. Really scared for it now. Of course Chip is my favorite...

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: