Pasty Butt problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuffOrp82, Jan 20, 2014.

1. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    I have 8 chicks that are a week old today ( 2 Blue Orpingtons 4 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Golden Comets). I got them from Meyer Hatchery, they were not shipped I live near by and picked them up myself. Well one of them (Peanut, a BO) keeps getting pasty butt! She is the only one that is having this problem. She also seems to be smaller and less developed than the other chicks, the other ones wing feathers are coming in and some tail feathers too, but Peanut's feathers are coming in much slower, she barely has any wing feathers. She's not lethargic, I think she's eating and drinking fine and runs around the brooder with her sisters.

I have started feeding them yogurt with active cultures once a day (just started yesterday). I have heard unfiltered acv in the water works too but can't seem to find it in the stores. How long will it take for the yogurt to help her and is there anything else I can do to help her?

Just want all my chickies to be happy and healthy, help! please!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I always have given my chicks probotic. It's much better for them in my opinion than a dairy product and it has many many more active live beneficial bacteria In it than yougart. When I got my my babies one had pasty butt as well then I started the probios probotic and it never returned.i use it for adults and chicks as well. I buy mine online. Look up probios for poultry and you should find where to order it from. Sometimes tractor supply has it but rarely. I add one half scoop to the water and it really keeps their digestive system healthy. I have a set of new chicks now and started them on the probios right away and I've been very greatful to say no pasty butt or dierahea has been had.the probios probotic has 10 million colony forming units of lactic acid bacteria and it has lactobacillus and acidophillus and enterococcus faecium and lactobacillus case and lactobacillus plantarum and more. These are all benifical bacteria that help stabilize gut health and can actually fight off bad bacteria once colonized. I've had great success with the probios probotic and highly recommended it. It delivers far more benifical bacteria live than they can get with yougart and it's not dairy. It's very easy to administer in their water. You can read about it by searching online for Probios for chickens. It's safe to use daily. Do read about it and give it a try.i think you will have fantastic results with it! I know I have. Hope This is helpful and wish you the best. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
  4. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    I recently saw some Braggs ACV in Walmart in the aisle by the pickles. Maybe yours will have some? Good luck on the pasty butt. I had one in my first batch like that too. Sweet girl. Named her Patsy. LOL![​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would just keep washing her bottom of to keep the vent opening clean and open. If I have ever had one with pasty butt, it usually stopped by 10 days. Make sure you are not keeping them too warm--use a thermometer on the floor--and make sure they have plenty of room to get to a cooler spot in the brooder. They should have 85-90 degrees at this age. There will always be chicks who will develop slower than others. I would give them some probiotics from Probios Dispersible Powder, or from a very small amount of buttermilk. Giving too much yogurt each day can have too much calcium and may cause more digestive problems. They just need a tiny amount twice a week if you continue the yogurt. Vinegar should not be in their water every day, and the concentration should only be 1 tablespoonful per gallon.

1 person likes this.
  6. BuffOrp82

Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks for the responses everyone...

I have been offering water with both probiotics and electrolytes since day one ( got the packets at Tractor Supply, directions said add one packet of probiotic and one packet of electrolyte per gallon, I mix it fresh twice daily ), so they have one waterer with the electrolyte/probiotic mix and one with just plain water. The brooder temp seems good, chicks are not huddled or trying to get away from the heat and they all play and run all over the brooder.

The fact the she is the only one with this problem and her smaller size and slower growth have me concerned ...

7. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    I don't believe they need electrolytes past a few days. It actually is not good for them. electrolytes are used initially to help them recover the transition after hatching and shipping. And in hot weather. Too much can actually cause similar problems.

1 person likes this.
  8. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I had that happen as well with only one of my chicks. She was smaller as well. She grew up fine but was a bit smaller than my other birds but was healthy. Just make sure she does not get plugged and a good probotic should cure the pasty butt right up. Best of luck

9. BuffOrp82

Dec 8, 2013
    ok, sounds like I need to cut the electrolytes and stop the yogurt if I'm already giving probiotics in water. I clean her every time she needs it, hopefully she gets past this soon ...

10. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Sounds like a plan! keep us posted![​IMG] And a couple of pics of the chicks are always welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by