1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty Butt Probs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fuzzy5chicks, Oct 1, 2013.

1. fuzzy5chicks

fuzzy5chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    MI
    I noticed that one of my chicks was pasting up. They just came today and I ordered them from Meyer Hatchery. I have tried using a wet rag on her butt but it is dried up on there so I haven't been able to get any off. She has been this way since she came. It is not much poop though. How urgent is this?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    As long as the vent is clear so she can poop, a little bit of dried poo stuck to her behind is OK. You might try putting a little bit of olive oil on her butt and the fluff around it, it helps keep the poo from sticking and softens the old.

3. bygrace53

bygrace53 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    it can actually kill the bird if the vent is blocked. the poo is supposed to squirt out and away. get a bowl of hot water and a paper towel and a toothpick. dip the paper towel into the hot water and hold it against the vent. keep dipping and wetting until it loosens. then gently, no poking or probing needed, use the toothpick to remove it from the feathers it is stuck to.

4. fuzzy5chicks

fuzzy5chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    MI
    They are pooping, I've been keeping an eye on them. Thank you:)

5. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I put Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother in their drinking water seems to help with pasty butt.1 tbsp per gallon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by