1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty butt question for newbie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashley6391, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ashley6391

ashley6391 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Hi! I just got my chicks on Tuesday I believe they are a week old and they are doing good so far! I do have 1 question, 1 of them had pasty butt a couple days ago and I took a warm wet cotton ball and got it off and have kept an eye on her, she seems to be Doug fine now. Should I give them some plain yogurt just to be safe? They are on nutrena chick starter grower medicated feed.

-thanks!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to our flock! [​IMG] They should not need yogurt. Be sparing giving dairy to chickens anyway. They have trouble digesting it and it can cause diarrhea. Just keep an eye on butts, and put a little vasaline on cleaned vent of pasted chick. Make sure they always have plenty of fresh clean water that isn't too warm, but not cold. [​IMG] Happy chickening!

3. ashley6391

ashley6391 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Thanks!! [​IMG]

4. royw94

royw94 New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    bethany illinois
    I put organic apple cider vinegar in my water at 3 tablespoons per gallon, and I have had no problems with pasty butt..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by