PASTY BUTT-- Question

Chocobroc

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Eastern, NC
Got my babies on Tuesday. They all seem happy and healthy. However, my RIR, Martha, has a bit of poop on her butt. What constitutes "pasty butt"?? Is it any type, amount of poop? The area looks clear just a bit on the tips of the fuzzy feathers. I've cleaned it a couple times to be on the safe side, but I don't want to handle her too much either. Any advice/suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

As long as she's active, eating enough, and drinking plenty of water, don't worry too much about holding her too much. Socializing her to humans isn't a bad thing.

RE: Pasty butt
A little bit of poo on the tip of her tail feathers shouldn't be that big of a deal. The thing you really want to watch out for is the vent "pasted" shut such that it will not allow waste products to exit the body. Your babies have to poop frequently, and can become very ill if they don't. I use a soft sponge (not the abrasive side) soaked in warm water and lightly dab them until i their vent appears clear.

Yea I guess it would be pasty butt then. I've heard that somtimes it's caused by stress. So if you ordered them they may be stressed from the ride. Clean it with a warm rag and eventually it will stop. Just make sure to clean it whenever you see it because if you dont then it will keep building up and getting worse.
smile.png

Watch it carefully, and check frequently. It doesn't take very long for a chick to die if her cloaca gets blocked, because that's her only opening to get rid of urea. I had a chick that was fine around 7 p.m. one evening, but completely blocked and backed up by 10 a.m. the next morning. Scary!

I use a qtip with warm water to get it off. Then I dab it with olive oil so it doesn't stick as much the next time. I did this for about a week and she cleared up! Good luck;)

@tracyrene
The qtip with olive oil is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing.

My girls are a week old today, they haven't had any signs of pasty butt for several days. How old would you typically expect them to be considered "out of the woods" with regard to pasty butt?

Quote:
Normally by 10 days they are done with pasty butt, but I always check for at least 14, just to be sure. I actually very gently pick the poo off the fuzz....sometimes I remove a bit of fuzz from their little butts, but no one's complained yet, and so long as you get that poop off, that's the goal.

Back
Top Bottom