Pasty Butt Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jermoatc, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    At what age can I stop worrying about pasty butts?

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Usually the first week or so is the only time. Pasty butt is usually caused by stress or extreme temperature change, so once they are acclimated, they shouldn't have any problems. [​IMG]

3. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    It usually depends on the chicken. We have an Australorp that still pastes up every once in a while. Usually you can stop checking for clingy poo around 3-4-5 weeks of age.

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I received 8 one-day-old chicks about 5 weeks ago. Two or three had some pasty butt issues during their first week and it then cleared up. However, I still have one Juno, that needs to have her darn bottom washed at least once, if not twice a day. I thought she wouldn't make it past two weeks she was such a mess and while she is growing and active and perky, she is now about 1/3rd the size of her sisters. I've tried every suggestion given to me on this forum and while it does seem to be getting somewhat better, I can't say she's all the way there. I don't check the bottoms of any of the other girls on a daily basis (I do try to check them over individually every few days just to keep an eye out for problems or parasites) but my Juno still gets checked morning and night, and if I happen to be watching them and she poos, I scoop her up and wipe it off, because she never seems to be able to do the deed without having it stick to her rear and once it dries, it's a much bigger job to get off.

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Dehydration causes pasty butt a lot of the time, so make sure they have fresh water all of the time. I got a shipment of 33 chicks this morning and one of the speckled Sussex already had a severe pasty butt that I had to soak in warm water for a long time to open up. When I put her back in the brooder she pooped a whole lot, then went to the waterer and drank and drank for the longest time. She must have been really dehydrated. She was really wobbly on her legs at first, but after drinking a lot of water with electrolytes, she is running around everywhere having a great time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by