1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty Butt question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmtcmkb, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I think one of my chicks has pasty butt. I have read and searched BYC and see all the things you do to help. It's a buff orpington, I picked them up yesterday at noon time, they were not in travel too long as I can see they were in transit less than 24 hours. None of the other 4 chicks have it. She basically just has a very tiny amount of debris left every time she goes, I am trying to watch her closely, last time I saw her go it was only a tiny bit. I have wiped with q tips, warm water paper towels and also dipped her in some warm water a couple times. You can see her behind moving up and down, I dont see any other chicks doing this...

Is there anything else I can do except watch her? She acts normal she just looks darker in that area than any of the other chicks, but she is also my only BO..

any advice welcome.

I see everyone seems to have different tings to say ie: stress, heat, cold etc-

they have plenty of fresh food and water, no one is cramped and I am using an ecobrooder- they move in and out as needed and seem perfectly fine doing so. Slept all night last night without a peep. Up this morning doing normal chick things [​IMG]

2. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I always have a chick or two in my shipment that gets pasty butt. Seems to last around 4 days or so then they are fine. I wash their butts real good with warm water (be VERY gentle of the cord) and then blow dry them on low (they always love the blow dry part, lol). I have had chicks only need this treatment once and then others that needed it 2x a day for a week. All did fine and are now VERY healthy! Good luck [​IMG]

Trish

3. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Thank you trish. She seems a little better, just pooped and no residue [​IMG]

She is just the sweetest little lady- no pecking lets me hold her she even fell asleep in my hand last night, way to win my heart;)

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You`re doing just fine. If it gets worse, you need to realize that pasty butt is a symptom of constipation. The white stuff in chicken poo is urine and, being constipated, only small amounts of anything gets past the blockage causing a buildup around the vent. There are many causes for this condition. If it gets worse, the best treatment is mollasses in their drinking water for a day, or even a half day. Mollasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it in their water to look like weak tea. The problems should cease almost immediately. Congrats on your new chicks.........Pop

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My hen had a pasty butt. Just gave her a bath and fluffed her up from the hair dryer. She LOVED the attention. Now she has a big old fluffy bottom and smells like dryer sheets! I rub her down with them lol. It's seriously a huge help those dryer sheets. If I'm picking them up, I don't want them smelling like poo.

She hasn't messed her fluffy butt up in two days. It seemed when it was dirty, it kept getting dirtier. [​IMG]

6. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    I had the same problem with one of my chicks when I got them. I saw something on this forum and tried it and it worked marvelously. Using a Q-tip and warm water keep working at the vent (very gently) until you get the dried stuff off. Then with another clean Q-tip apply a small amount of baby oil to the outside of the vent. It worked great and I never had another problem with her. Now I have this large (all they had) bottle of baby oil and no more chicks [​IMG]

7. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    well she is actually looking great now- all fluffy and nothing appears to be stuck on her, hopefully I got it right off and she is over the worst.

8. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read where some folks trim the feathers nearest the vent, to keep the poo from collecting there. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by