Pasty Butt Question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RitzHomestead, Feb 20, 2015.

1. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    So we have a total of ten hens, and all of them besides one seem to be free and clear of any pasty butt. The one though still has real runny poo and I have been cleaning her a couple times a day. She is eating the same thing that everyone else is eating, so why is she the only one having runny poo?

Any tips and suggestions would be awesome! Thank you!

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    How old are your hens? Can you post a picture of the poop? Do you deworm them? What are they eating normally?

3. RitzHomestead

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    They are only 2 weeks old at most, I do not have a picture of the poop but the best description that I can give is that it is almost like pudding. It was not watery at all just like the texture of pudding would be my best guess. They eat medicated purina chick feed.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    It seems like there's always one in the batch that ends up having pasty butt. [​IMG]

Continue to gently clean it off with a warm, wet cotton ball. It sometimes helps to put a little A&D ointment or vaseline ointment on the vent to reduce the likelihood of the poo sticking to the skin. It makes clean-up easier.

If you haven't already done so, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water to their drinking water.

Make sure the brooder temp is appropriate. At 2 weeks of age, it should be around 80 degrees.

I usually end up completely changing out their brooder bedding after 2 weeks, but you're the best judge of when that needs to be done based on accumulated droppings and smell.

1 person likes this.
  5. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

X2, the apple cider vinegar works wonders and should be a regular additive to their water. Make sure it's the "good" stuff though, Braggs Organic with the mother in it. It's a great preventative and probiotic.
    Cheers!

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    ACV in the water. And Diligent cleaning until she is pooing normal again. Doesn't take long for them to turn the bend to more normal poos.

7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Yes, exactly what was just said by all the above :) It does happen from time to time with chicks. I apologize I was confused at first. I thought you meant an adult chicken :)

8. RitzHomestead

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Thank you! We are new to chickens and this info really helped!

9. RitzHomestead

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Where do you pick up the Braggs Organic? Thank you!

10. RitzHomestead

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    No worries! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by