Pasty butt removal problems

amama

Chirping
Mar 16, 2016
Midwest US
We have new chicks from the feed store, none of which had pasty butt when we picked them out. Now about 1/3 of them have it. The brooder is in the garage with a mama heating pad.

I tried some tips I read here on BYC; holding warm water Qtips against it for a while, then easing it off. I soaked and soaked their vent with the Qtips but nothing seemed to change at all. I finally gave up after trying it on the third chick.

I saw one website where they ran the chick's vent under running water than used a hair dryer.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I use the sink?

I'm also wondering why they are getting it, I'm using a Mama Heating Pad on high, maybe they are too cold? They huddle under the MHP in one corner, but feel warm when I pick them up.

Thanks

when my chick had pasty butt, i just used a damp paper towel to ease the waste off the chicken. As for the temp., i dont know. I didnt even use a heater because the climate here is already at the desired temp.
Good luck!

I've used a little olive oil before. Seemed to work a little better than just water. And might help prevent any more from sticking until they clear up.

I wrapped a baby chick in a wash cloth and held her bottom under Luke warm water..and gently kept dabbing her bottom with the tip of the wash cloth took just a few minutes and she stayed calm during the process

I wrapped a baby chick in a wash cloth and held her bottom under Luke warm water..and gently kept dabbing her bottom with the tip of the wash cloth took just a few minutes and she stayed calm during the process
That's how I took care of the same problem with mine; then dabbed some vitamin E oil on with a Qtip. I had to do that several times, but she is fine now. (4 wks. old)

to get it off I couldn't get it to budge with just the q-tip either. for my under 1 week olds I filled a cat water dish with warm water and plopped them in, I held them upright supporting their heads most of them fell asleep. after a couple of minutes in the dish I used a terri-cloth to wipe the poo off. it worked really well, I used a different cloth to try to dry their fluff a bit before I put them back under the MHP. they fluffed back up pretty quickly, though they didn't like the feeling of the wet fluff on their legs and tried to get it off. but it didn't hurt them to pull the poo off.

LgMlSIi.jpg

Mine get a butt bath. I leave them in there for a minute or so- they like it because it's warm- and then take them out and wrap them in a dish towel and use a paper towel to pluck the nasties off. Then I rub them gently with the towel and hold them under the heat lamp for a few minutes before setting them down. They don't complain, they don't get chilled, and it's efficient! :)

Edit: I should probably add that I don't just chuck them in. I usually hold them at first to make sure they are okay. They either float or stand. This was this guys third or fourth butt bath, so he was floating like a pro by this time. :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom