Pasty Butt Treatment

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Baymule, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I got 20 chicks 4 days ago. Two of them have pasty butt. I clean them up and the next day, their little bottoms are all poopy and crusty again. But today I got some help! Parker, our Lab/Great Dane big black dog is so excited by the babies. He wants to play with them, love them, lick them..........that big tongue would roll around those babies and draw them into his alligator mouth like a frog licking a fly. Parker, I am not fooled. [​IMG] Today after I gently washed off the baby bottom, Parker was spinning like a top in the bathroom. The bathroom is not that big, so he went spin-thump, spin-thump as he half crashed into the wall. He was so excited, he whined and barked at me. I offered him the baby and he stuck his nose on the washed bottom and did what dogs do-he licked and licked and licked. Poor baby chick peeped, cheeped and screamed MONSTER!! in chick language. [​IMG] Baby chick got a thorough cleaning, we'll see how it is tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    I hope he doesn't lick you with that tongue [​IMG]. I have a cheasapeake bay retriever and she will run around my pen for houurrssss just barking and staring at my chickens. On a few occasions, a hen would fly over the fence and would get licked nearly to death.

3. Druantai

Druantai Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Apple cider vinegar. Add about a teaspoon to their water. Repeat as often as needed. Let us know any other concerns. BYC is here for you.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Apple cider vinegar did wonders for my chicks' pasty butt problem. It really works! If they already have it apply some olive oil or vaseline to their bums after cleaning it (or after the dog cleaned it). It'll help prevent the next lot of poop getting stuck.

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Thanks Ya'll!!! I added ACV to their water and the 2 chicks are doing better. None of the others have pasty butt. Parker said he will "lick" that problem! [​IMG] I have had chickens 3 years. I bought 2 SLW hens the first year, then 6 chicks the 2nd year. Now I jumped in the deep end with 20 chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by