Pasty Butt!!! UGH!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mom 2em All, May 16, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    two of my chicks from Mondays' hatch have pasty butt, the others are fine..I gave them a bath (stuck just their butts under the water faucet in the bathroom sink), and then put them back under their heat lamp.

I am going out of town in the early morning until Sunday night. If I make sure they are clean before I go, and check them just as soon as I get back- do you think that is relatively too short of a time for them to get nasty/ etc?? I am so stressed now.

I have to leave for work in about twenty minutes and won't be done until 5pm- can someone please post what I should get for them? I know Miss Prissy has talked about this before, but I can't find where.

I will go look again- and thanks in advance.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When you clean them put some vaseline around the vent to keep the poo moving and not sticking. That really helps to keep then from getting blocked up.

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks Miss Prissy, and two threads down is the crusty bum thread- but in it I found, "if they are too cold" and "if they are too warm"....

Yesterday, my daughter had her bedroom window open, where the babies are and we were gone until evening. I kinda freaked out :mad: and told her to go shut it- it was chilly out. It is possible that they got chilled.

Im glad its just the two of them. Also, I bet the one bright yellow chick I have is going to be alpha-roo/hen...I plucked him up to check out its bottom and it pitched a fit. Then, once I put him back down he ran a couple steps- then came back and hit me with both feet-and fell on his back from his efforts. This at four days old. [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Better handle him a lot now and get that fiesty worked out of him. LOL

5. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    This will probably not be a very accepted comment to most users here, but if it is not impeding their normal functions, it usually takes care of itself in a few days.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by