Pasty butt/vent problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weesy68, May 10, 2009.

1. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    You've all been very helpful with my new chickens that I rescued from a live poultry market in the Bronx. Their respirtory(sp?) issues appear to have resolved themselves. Now the chicken that was sicker appears to have a problem with her rear end. I gave her a bath as I noticed her straining to poop, and she was all crusty. As soon as she was out of the water she pooped. The area beneath her vent is all red and swollen. I manipulated it and didn't feel anything. What could cause this swelling? Since I bathed her she has eaten and drunk water, plus she's pooping, but she is still very lethargic. Our other chicken is now completely recovered and full of energy, I'm concerned for the sicker one. I put her back in the coop and left a heat lamp on to help her dry out before night falls.

Any ideas what would cause swelling about an inch beneath her vent?

2. scalaway

scalaway Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    How old is she? Is she laying yet? I wonder if it's an "egg" problem? --

3. weesy68

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    I wondered the same thing which is why I felt it to see if there's an egg stuck in there. She is a five to six month old Australorp.

4. weesy68

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    Sorry, I should have added she is not laying yet.

5. PsychoChicken

PsychoChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    My chicken is around the same age and is also an australorp having the same problem. Pasty vent. I saw her struggling to poo. Her poo looked really piecey and full of grass and lilttle grainy bits. Sorry for the gross details. Did you ever resolve your issue with your hen? What did you do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by